CHAPTER FIVE

It was the end of my last day, english 11 honors. Jessie was in that class, and she had greeted me with a jubilant smile and introduced me to my teacher, Mr. Perkins. He seemed like a cool guy, and I felt at home with this subject; english is one of my favorites. The class was in the middle of an analyzing short stories unit, and Mr. Perkins gave me everything I needed to catch up. The last period of the day went by quite fast, actaully.

The final bell rang and I followed Jessie out of the class room and into the courtyard. We met up with Annie and Amanda. "Hellooo," Amanda greeted us. "How was your first day?"

"It was actually pretty easy, I don't think I'll have a problem catching up." I replied.

"Yay!" Jessie said. "Do you walk home? Or do you get a ride? My mom can take you home if you need it."

"No, no I'm okay! My mom picks me up." I said, giving her a sweet smile of gratittude towards her kindness. "Speaking of that, she's probably waiting for me right now, and I need to get cracking on all my make up work."

I said my goodbyes to them, and they gave me a hug. Once again, I thank God for letting me run into Jessie this morning. Its only my first day and I feel like they've been my friends forever. They really are nice girls and I have come to the conclusion that being the new girl wont be as bad as I thought. I hurredly walked towards the front of the school to where my mom said she would pick me up. I took the back way to avoid the crowd of teenagers exiting the school at the front. I had seen this route while taking the tour with Jessie this morning. There was barely anyone back here, for the most part. As I felt myself nearing the front of the school, I heard voices. Loud, obnoxious voices and I turned the corner to see a group of druggies all standing togehter. Crap. I thought to myself. thought quickly and came to the conclusion that I'll just keep my head down.

But, at the same time, I wanted a better glimpse of them and what they actually looked and dressed like here. As I got closer to them, I decided to take a quick glance up and look at them. They were all wearing black, the boys were all in black jeans and big jackets (which I did not understand because it is literally 98 degrees out). They were all just very scary. And even though I had many classes with the same kind of mean-looking people in my other school, they all still intimidated me to be honest. The girls, the other hand, were quite the same as the boys, only they had bright colors died in their hair and the most revealing clothes on I've ever seen. I must've been looking way too long, because before I knew it I was making eye contact with Ashton from my art class. He had a cigarette in his hands and his green-brown eyes were like blazing forest fires. Every single person in this group stared at me with mean looks, so I turned my head away and got out of there as fast as I could.

I soon saw the front of the school, and my mom's car in the parking lot, and sighed a heavy sigh of relife. That was diffidenlty not something I was expecting to do on my first day. I quickly walked to my mom's car and she greeted me with a big smile. "Soooo?" she asked. I slammed the door shut and placed my bag by my feet. "I like it here." I said. My mother instantly cheered. "That's great, Brooke! Tell me more tonght over dinner, so your father can hear."

I nodded, and I sat back in silence until we got home. I ran straight to my room and got started on my work. I smiled happily to myself, more excited for the school year than usual.