CHAPTER FIFTY ONE

I groaned in frustration as my alarm clock seemed to echoe through my dark bedroom and my mind. It was time to go back to school, and I was not used to getting up this early. The whole autumn break consisted of staying up extremely late and waking up 14 hours later. Opening my eyes at 6 in the morning, not so fun.

But, I can't complain. I can't remember the last time a break from school was that eventful. As I took a quick shower and looked through my room for something to wear, I reflected on everything that happened. My fight with Jessie, going to the mall with Natalie, sending those pictures to Ashton, making out with him numerous times, doing reckless things with him, and that weird night I had on Thanksgiving. I remembered how emotional I was for no apparent reason, and I was thankful Ashton knew how to make me feel better, despite the fact he probably has so much more to complain about than me.

I ended up staying at Ashton's that night, sleeping with him on the couch. I ignored all the texts from my dad, but I did contact my mom once to tell her I wasn't coming home. She never replied, probably because she was asleep or not in the mood to talk to anyone. I didn't blame her. When I got home the next morning, the whole house seemed empty, even though everyone was there. I didn't bother talking to anyone, because there was nothing that needed to be said.

There was diffidently something going on between my mom and dad, I know it. I just prayed it would pass before it got too out of hand.

I decided on wearing Ashton's hoodie I still haven't given back to him, for obvious reasons. Why would I give it back? It keeps me warm and it smells like him. I've realized from the countless times Ashton has held me in his arms, he has the most comforting smell. You know how people just have like, a scent? Ashton's was very nice. I couldn't explain it, but it made my heart fultter everytime I inhaled it from his hoodie or his actual body. Along with the faint combination of Axe and cigarettes, it was perfect. Lets just summarize it: Ashton is perfect.

"Mom?" I called out as I finished the bun on top of my head. My mom appeared at my doorway, her eye brows raised. "Ready?" She asked. I nodded and followed her downstairs. I was thankful my dad wasn't home, he must've gone into work extra early.

We were both dead silent on the way to school. It's been like that ever since last thursday, when I walked out of the house and went to a random train track with Ashton. I felt pretty awkward, like I didn't know what to say. Because well, I didn't. I thought we would never get to school, but we finally pulled up to Palo Verde and I was internally grateful.

"Have a good day." My mother said. I said bye, and walked out of the car. I slung my bad over my shoulder and walked into the courtyard, praying Jessie wouldn't be there.

I'm dreading english class. I was thankful Ashton would be there, but I really didn't want to sit next to Jessie for an hour straight. I could already picture what its gonna be like: Jessie's gonna give me disgusted look, then give one to Ashton, and then ignore me for the rest of our lives. I didn't really care, though.

I looked around the courtyard and was relieved to see Calum and Natalie at the usual spot. As I walked over to them, my eyes wandered to about 20 yards to the left of me. I caught a glimpse of Abby and Amanda, staring at me. I met their eyes, and I quickly looked back down, and walked faster over to the tree.

"That looked awkward." Natalie said as I walked up to them, my head still down.

"What did?" I asked.

"That." Calum replied, waving his hand over to Abby and Amanda. I let out a desperate laugh and nodded. A couple minutes of small talk weny by, and suddenly Calum looked past my body that faced them, laughing.

"What a hipster." He joked. I turned around to see Ashton walking over to us. He wore a light grey crewneck sweater, blue skinny jeans, black converse, and his glasses. He was also carrying a Starbucks in his left hand. I raised my eyebrows at how differntly attractive he looked.

"Why do you always judge me?" Ashton laughed as he walked up beside me. "Besides," he said. "It's for you!" He smiled and handed the Starbucks to me. I sniffed it, and realized it to be my absolute favorite drink: chai tea latte.

"How did you know this was my favorite?" I asked, taking a sip.

"Lucky guess?" Ashton shrugged with a smile. I gave him a quick kiss and wrapped my free hand around his. The bell rang acouple minutes after Michael finally showed up, and I grew excited for art with Ashton.

"See ya'll at lunch." Ashton waved as we turned towards the art room. My eyes darted around our surroundings, looking for any of my old friends. I didn't see any of them, luckily. My grip tightened around Ashton's hand as my eyes layed on Luke, his arms around Jessie. She was facing the other way, but she looked just as annoying from behind. Luke looked over to me and Ashton, and blinked slowly at us. I looked up to Ashton, to see him giving Luke a slight nod.

"What was that?" I asked out of curiosity.

"I don't really know, actually," Ashton laughed. "I mean, I guess Luke isn't that bad."

"His girlfriend is." I said, taking another sip of my tea. Ashton let out a slight chuckle.

"Cannot wait for 6th period, man." He said sarcastically. My heart dropped as I remembered about that.

"Fucking shit." I muttered. I felt Ashton's arm come around my body, and he softly kissed my head. "Don't worry about it," he said. "I'll be right there."

"I know but..." my voice trailed off and I groaned. "I just don't want to go!"