CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

I ended up waking up the next day around 9 am. I slept for so long. I was still tired as hell, but I had to get all my homework done today to be prepared for school tomorrow. 

I rolled out of bed and walked downstairs to get breakfast. I haven't talked to my mother since our little spit yesterday, and I was grateful to see she wasn't in the kitchen. My dad was, though.

"Morning." He said as he read the paper. He didn't seem as pissed at me as mom probably still is.

"Hey." I said back, looking for a decent cereal to eat.

"How was Jessie's?" He said. I could tell by the tone of voice he used that he knew I had lied to mom. I sighed and ignored him for a while.

"Look, I'm sorry okay?" I said, not wanting to argue with him as well. 

"Brooke, we just don't want you lying to us, right?" He said. I noddded, trying not to look too guilty. I quickly poured a bowl of Special K and brought it up to my room to do my homework.

The next morning, I overslept a little and woke up around 6:15. I groaned in frustration that I wouldn't have enough time to shower this morning. I rolled out of bed and looked in my closet for something to wear. I decided a pair of jeans and white t-shirt. I put my dirty hair into a bun, hoping it wouldn't look too bad for today. 

As I put my mascara on, and brushed my teeth, I remembered Ashton would be coming back to school today! I instantly became excited, because we had two classes together today, art and english. And, I also get to tutor him!

As I packed my bag up, I remembered another thing. As Ashton would be returning from suspension, so would Nick. "Fuck." I said to myself. I made a mental note in my head to talk to my chem teacher at lunch to get my seat switched so I wouldn't have to look at his stupid face all day.

"Ready?" My mother said as I walked down the stairs. I nodded and followed her to the garage. We sat in an awkward silence the whole ride over. I sighed and turned to her.

"I'm sorry I lied," I said. "I won't do it again." My words were short and to the point bc I didn't want to waste time on the subject.

"Its okay honey," my mother replied. "I know, you've got new friends and everything, and I know what its like to do whatever you can to impress them."

"You do?" I asked. That wasn't the reason I lied to her, but I went along with it.

"Of course!" my mom said. "Everyone goes through that phase during high school. No worries, alright?" 

I smiled and nodded as we pulled up to PV. "See you later!" I said behind my shoulder as I shut the door. I quickly walked into the courtyard and scanned the area. I saw no sign of Jessie, or Amanda or Abby or Annie. I sighed a sigh of relief, and looked over to the tree on the west side of campus. I saw the bright pink hair of Michael and the dark complection of Calum. I looked around, to make sure none of my friends were here yet and walked over. 

"Hey." I greeted. They both looked up from their phones and smiled.

"Whaddup." Calum said.

"Saturday was really fun." I remakarked. "Do you have those kinds of things often?"

"Whenever my parents are out, totally." Michael replied. I looked down at my phone to see I got a text from Jessie

"Are you at school??? Im coming right now"

"yeah I'm here" I replied. I sighed, because I am gonna have to leave these people when Jessie gets here. We continued to talk small talk, nothing special. I was amazed as to how nice Ashton's friends actually were.