CHAPTER FIFTY FOUR

Finally, it was Friday. Even though it sucked getting used to getting up to dn early, this week went by quite fast, along with today. 2nd period and 4th period were both really easy and quick, and I spent lunch with Ashton near the back of the school, behind a wall where no one else was. We just talked and laughed and shared some pizza and made out. It was a pretty good lunch break.

I have no idea what we're going to do in English class today, but I really wasn't looking forward to it. Its still awkward as hell to sit next to Jessie, and I wish I could move to the back of the room, in the empty desk next to Ashton. Class would be so much more fun, and easier, because...you know, Ashton's fucking brilliant. 

The bell rang, and Ashton got up to his feet, holidng out a comforting hand to help me to my feet as well. I intertwined our fingers together, and we walked in silence, dipping through the huge crowds of students until we finally reached our english class. Jessie stood alone, her arms crossed over her chest and her eyes glued to the ground. I looked away from her, because why should I care what she's doing? I shouldn't, thats the answer.

Mr. Perkins opened the door, and the class filed in. I let go of Ashton's hand and walked to my desk, slumping down in my seat, not bothering to look over in Jessie's direction. I could still feel the awkwardness and hatred between us, but I really didn't care. Well, I kind of did, but not enough to let it get to me too bad. The class contined to talk until the bell rang and Mr. Perkins cleared his throat.

"Good afternoon, class," he said. "I hope you've all had an easy week back."

I looked over to Ashton out of habbit, and hs head was down, resting in his folded arms ontop of the desk top. I brought my attention back over to Mr. Perkins as he continued to talk to the class.

"So, we've finished The Great Gatsby-"

I saw Ashton's head perk up out of the corner of my eyes. 

"-which is great! Are there any thoughts on the novel? Any observations they've made throughout the story?"

My heart dropped when I saw Jessie's hand shot up next to me. My eyes darted over to Ashton, and he was staring at her, a frustrated look on his face. The rest of the class looked at her, and she kept her gaze on Mr. Perkins.

"Yes, Jessie?" He said.

"Well," she replied. "I noticed a huge change in my opinion in Daisy, as a character. She's so stupid, becuase she just left Gatsby for Tom."

Her tone of voice was so weird, I couldn't quite explain it. Her eyes shot over to me for a split second, as if she was making sure I was listening to her. I felt my breathing hitch as I realized what she's implying here. Another hand shot up at the back of the room, and my heart dropped even more to see it was Ashton, an even more frustrated look on his face than before.

"Um, correction," he said. His eyes were on Mr. Perkins, but I knew he was talking directly to Jessie. "Daisy didn't just leave Gatsby for Tom. She was forced into it, duh."

His tone of voice was pretty sassy as well, and it was kind of hot, actually. I sholdn't be thinking of that right now. 

"No she wasn't," Jessie said back. Her eyes shot over to Ashton, and they met their gazes, probably for the first time in years. "Why did she marry him then?"

"Don't you remember?" Ashton snapped. All eyes were on these two, each person's head shooting back and forth as Jessie and Ashton exchanged words. Me, included. "She got his letter right before she was about to be married to Tom. She didn't want to marry him anymore, yet she still did. Because, as I clearly stated earlier, she was forced to do it."

"Hm. Interesting," Jessie spat. "Because last time I checked, if you really care about someone, you stick with them, and don't turn your back against them." her eyes were still glued to Ashton, but a lump in my throat told me she was talking to me at this point.