CHAPTER SEVENTY NINE

"No child is born a delinquent. They only became that way if nobdy loved them when they were kids. Unloved children grow up to be serial murderers or alcoholics." -Jeanette Walls, The Glass Castle

I woke up the next morning around 12:00, and I was surprised at that. I mean, I ended up reading "The Glass Castle" until 5 in the morning, why did I only get 6 hours of sleep? As sleep deprived as I was last night, I still managed to get a good start on the book Ashton had made me buy. I'm glad he did, I'll give you that.

So far, its a pretty kickass story. It's such an interesting story, and what makes it even better is the fact that it's based on a true story. As much as I couldn't connect with it, I've found maybe like 20 quotes from the first 4 chapters that remind me of Ashton.

Ashton. The thought of him made my weary eyes shoot open, and I instantly sat up in my bed. Shit, I slept in way too late, what if he's tried to call me? I scrambled out of my bed, stumbling over my tired feet and dashing for my phone. I picked it up off the floor, and into my hands. Pulling the charger from it, I was surprised to see that there was infact no text from him. As confused as I was, maybe he just slept in too. And that's good, because I think he could really use a good night's sleep.

But then again, what if that's not it? What if something happened to him?

"Shit shit shit shit..." I muttered to myself, panic obiously taking over me as I shakily unlocked my phone. I scrolled down to his contact, and made no hesitation to call him. I stood there, while the phone seemed to take 20 minute breaks between each ring. "...Please pick up." I pleaded quietly. I just needed to make sure he's okay. Even though it's probably nothing, I can't help but worry.

Finally, after what seemed like an hour of anticipation, the ringing on the other line stopped.

"Hello?" Ashton's voice answered. I'll be honest, I was a little distraut by how weird his voice sounded. I know his voice is always raspy in the morning, but this was a little too raspy even for Ashton.

"Ashton?" I said. "Uh, did I wake you up?"

"No." He replied bluntly. I was confused, because usually if I call or text him in the morning he's all: 'Hello sunshine! I hope you're ready for a great day!' But he wasn't right now.

"Oh," I said after a long pause. "Okay, I was just making sure."

"Thanks Lovey." He replied. Even though my muscles relaxed a little at the fact that he called me "lovey", his tone of voice was still so out of it.

"Uh, you're welcome..." I said feebly. My voice trailed off and the line went silent at both ends. I didn't know what to say, and I was beginning to feel awkward and uncomfortable. "...You alright?"

"Yes," He replied. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Erm...I dunno," I said in a stupid tone. "You get a good sleep?"

"Sure." He mumbled. I thought I heard the clinking of a glass bottle or something on the counter in the background, but I wasn't sure. Once again, I'm growing anxious.

"Mkay," I said as casually as I could. "You wanna do anything today?"

The line went silent, and I still felt very uncomfortable. "Ashton?" I said.

"I can't today," Ashton said emotionless. "I'm sorry."

"Oh, it's okay," I replied, trying to ingnore the lump in my throat. "I'll uh, I'll call you later."

"Okay, thanks I guess."

"Bye."

"See ya."

And with that I hung up, the lump in my throat even bigger than before.