CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN

The final bell of the day finally rang, and I never thought it would have. The spit between Nick and me and Ashton and Jessie this afternoon was way too much for me, and I was just so happy that I have whole week off from this stupid school. 6th period I had english with Jessie and Ashton, and it was more akward than I was expecting. Jessie didn't even look over to me, and I could tell by her body language that she was pretty mad with me.

But why, though? I didn't do anything! Nothing! Nick and even Luke were giving me shit for no reason! It was mean..bullying, even. She seemed pretty horrifed at the sight of Ashton by my side, which I didn't understand. She doesn't know him. She doesn't know shit about him, so why does she get so pissed whenever he's there?

"Have a good break, Class." Mr. Perkins called out as students filed out of the classroom. Jessie pretty much bolted out of the room, not looking back to me. My eyes met Ashton's and he just shrugged. "C'mon," I said as we left the courtyard, towards Ashton's truck. My parents both had buisness things tonight, and my brother was at a friend's house. "No one's home tonight."

Ashton nodded, and took my hand as we walked down the steps. My paranoid eyes shot around the area, to make sure none of my friends were watching us. I relaxed my muscles as I saw no one important.

...

It was about 9:00, and no one was home yet. Ashton and I had spent the afternoon in my house, and Michael, Calum, and Natalie had came over. Calum had brought alcohol and the whole living room smelled like it. Now, it was just us two.

"Better spray some fabreeze in here," Ashton said, lookig around my kitchen. "So, you know, I don't get kicked out." He chuckled, and finally found the air freshener. I chocked on the stuff as he sprayed it around the room.

"Goddammit, Ashton." I laughed, breathing the mist out of my nose.

"There! Good as new!" He said proudly, followed by a laugh. Even though it was only 9:00, I was tired. Probably from all the stress and schenenagans that had happened early today. "Can we go upstairs?" I groaned.

"Tired already, babe?" Ashton said. Niether of us were really drunk at this point, but even he seemed a little weary. I nodded and opened my arms.

"I got this." Ashton said as he lifted my body up into his arms. I wrapped my arms around his neck as he carried me up the stairs. Moments later I felt my body come into contact with my bed. I sat up as Ashton joined me, sitting across from me. He sighed, and we both went silent as we just looked at eachother. I was about to say something, but my thoughts went over to earlier today.

"Why is this asshole helping you?" Jessie's words echoed in my mind. The look of digust in both her and Ashton's faces at the sight of each other made me more curious about something than I've ever been. I rocked my body slightly from left to right, trying to think of something to say.

"You're thinking of something." Ashton said quietly. He was looking at me with worried eyes.

"No I'm not." I lied, looking down at my folded hands that were sat in my lap.

"Brooke," Ashton said. I looked back up at him, and he was still staring at me. "Yeah you are."

The room fell silent for what seemed like hours. But, it was probably only 10 seconds. Finally, I just sighed, and I said it.

"Do you know Jessie?"

*Ashton's POV*

Shit. Fucking shit. Of course I knew Brooke would ask this eventually, I just really wished it wasn't right now. I kept my gaze on Brooke's, but in that moment I really just wanted to go. Not to leave Brooke or anything, I just didn't want to talk about it.