CHAPTER THIRTY THREE

I woke up the next morning at 6:00 am. I groaned tiredly as my alarm clock seemed to have no mercy for my sleepy eyes. I really need to work on my sleeping schedual. I rolled out of bed and headed for the shower.

"So," my father said as I walked downstairs to get breakfast. By now I was all dressed and ready to go to school, with my hair tied in a side braid. "When am I gonna meet this boyfriend of yours?"

"Dad." I groaned. Not while I'm still half asleep.

"Mom told me he was nice."

"He's very nice," I replied as I poured myself some cereal. "I tutor him, you know."

"Oh." Was all he said. He folded up the newspaper he was reading and took his plate to the sink without saying another word.

"Whats that supposed to mean?" I said, my defending tone coming through in my voice. Sorry, I couldn't help it.

"Well you know," he replied shyly. "When you said you were gonna tutor someone in geometry... I pictured a freshman or, something." He turned and looked at me, and he must've noticed the pissed off look on my face because he kept talking. "There's nothing wrong with it!"

"He may not be good at math, but he can kick your butt pysically, and in English class any day." I retorted. With those words still hanging in the air, I placed my half-eaten bowl of cereal into the sink and strolled out. I called out to my mom, to see if she is ready, and I get inside the car and waited.

"Way to judge, Dad." I muttered to myself.

-

I drove with my mom in silence until we finally pulled up to my school. "Have a great day." She muttered as I opened the door. Alright, thats it. I slumped back down into my seat and looked at her.

"What is your deal?" I asked. It seemed like everyday she's been like this. All grumpy and...well, quite sad.

"Nothing!" My mother said in a sudden assuring voice. "I'm fine!"

I raised my eyebrows at her, but she just threw a smile on her face. I sighed, and pulled myself out of the car. I waved behind me after Is slammed the door shut. If she didn't want to tell me what was up, then so be it.

I studied my moving feet as I walked onto campus, trying to think of why my mother was being so weird lately. Was it really all work stress? How bad could that be? Her little bursts of stress from work have never been this long. I shook my head to erase the annoying thoughts out of my mind. I looked up as I walked into the courtyard, and I saw no sign of Jessie or anyone else in our group. My head darted over to the tree, and I saw Ashton, Calum, and Natalie. I walked over, staying behind Ashton's gaze.

"Boo!" I said as I wrapped my arms around his waist from behind. He let out a high-pitched gasp and turned around. He instantly covered his hand over his mouth because he sounded like a total girl just then. I laughed and gave him a hug from the front. "No one heard that." He laughed as he wrapped his arms around me and rested his hands on my lower back.

"How is everyone?" I asked.

"I'm alright!" Natalie answered happily.

"Hey bitch," I heard Michael's voice behind us. I turned to see Michael hand Ashton today's newspaper. "Here's your newspaper."

"Thanks." Ashton muttered as he snatched it from his hands and opened it.

"Sudden burst of interest in current events, huh babe?" I giggled.

"If only..." His voice trailed off as he squinted his eyes at the newspaper. "...What the hell does this say?"

"Local liqour store robbed by underaged teenagers." Michael replied.

"What?"

"Dude I'm kidding! Can't you read? Of course you can."

I looked up at Ashton, because I was confused. What is going on?

"Yeah I can," Ashton replied. "But I..uh...yeah. Okay, where the hell are the jobs?"

Everyone stared at him with surprised eyes. Me, included.

"You're getting a job?" Calum gasped. Michael instantly bursted out in laughter.

"Shut up!" Ashton said, his cheeks red. "I can get a job if I really wanted to, you know."

"Oh Ashton," Michael laughed. "No you can't."

"Yes you can!" I assured, looking up to him. He smiled and pulled me closer to him. "See?" He said.

"Why do you want a job all a sudden?" Natalie asked.

"Okay," Ashton said. He turned to me, but I could tell he was talking to everone in the group. "So I was driving back from your house yesterday, and I was driving through downtown and I saw this apartment building...by that liquor store we stole from, and it said 90 dollars a month and I was like holy shit and it was right above a bookstore and I was like freaking out and-"

By now he was in rambling mode. I couldn't help but chuckle at him.

"-Like my grandmas salary is barely enough to afford dinner everynight, and I'm getting pretty sick and tired of that stupid trailer and if I got a job then we could afford it, and yeah."

"Do it!" I encouraged. I took the newspaper from him and flipped it open. Just then, the bell rang, and Ashton and I groaned. "At least we've got art." I said. We waved goodbye to everyone and Ashton stuffed the newspaper into his backpack.

"Can you help me look after school?" He asked. I nodded and took his hand as we walked. We got to the other side of the courtyard, and my eyes wandered to the left of Ashton and I. I saw about 3 jocks, Luke included.

They were all staring at me, with weirded out looks on their faces. I raised my eyebrows at them, as if to ask them what the hell they were staring at me for. They instantly all looked down and sped away, laughing. I rolled my eyes and didn't say anything.

-

Art was fun, as usual. Ms. Hullen gave us the period to just do whatever we wanted, so I watched Ashton draw some member from a band he likes. If I was to watch anyone else draw for an hour straight, it would've been boring as fuck. But, Ashton is Ashton, and he's just talented at everything, so time went by fast.

Unfortunately, my mind went back to those jocks that laughed at me before first period had started. I was almost positive they were staring at me, but why? I didn't spill anything on me, did I? No, I didn't! Fuck this. And, why was Luke laughing and staring with them? He's been nothing but nice to me since we met at Nick's party, and he's going on dates with one of my best friends. Whatever, I didn't care. It was probably nothing, anyways.

"You okay Brooke?" Ashton asked as the bell rang an hour later. He must've noticed I was thinking about something, becasue I hadn't replied to whatever he had said before that.

"What? Yes!" I assured, slinging my bag over my shoulder. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Tired?" He asked as we walked out of the art room. That actually was very true.

"Yes," I replied. "I guess I am pretty tired."

"Thats probably my fault," Ashton laughed. "I'm fucking up your sleeping schedual."

"In a good way." I winked as I pecked my lips to his. 2nd period was about to start and I had to get across the camps to my next class. "See you 6th?"

Ashton nodded and smiled, his adorable dimples making my heart beat speed up.I said goodbye, and hastily walked across the campus. As I walked, I got that feeling. You know, that feeling you get when you think people are looking at you. My eyes rapidly looked around, until I heard a voice to the right of me. About 10 feet away from me, stood a couple of Nick's football friends.

"You better walk faster," one of them said. It was almost as if he was..taunting me? "Nick might see you!" They all started laughing, and I was on the verge of stumbling over my own feet. I laughed a shallow laugh, and I kept walking.

What the hell was that? I thought myself. Were they taunting me? Their tone of voice was very odd, and it made me feel sick. I rolled my eyes, and brushed whatever they had said off of my shoulders. Why should I care about what Nick's stupid friends think about me?