CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR

The lunch bell rang, and I hurried out to the courtyard to go meet Jessie. She had texted me during fourth period, saying she had to tell me something really important. I pushed passed a couple people, letting out "excuse me"s every couple of seconds.

"Brooke!" I heard Jessie's voice not too far away. I looked to the left and saw her standing with Amanda, waving me over. I sped walked over to them. Jessie had the most excited look on her face, and I was eager to know what the hell was going on. "Whats happening?" I asked.

"Luke is 'supposedly' asking me to like, be his girlfriend!" Jessie cheered. My eyes widened slightly. 

"Already?!" I asked. Then again, there was me and Ashton's relationship. I mentally took my words back.

"Yes!" Jessie said happly. "I don't even care!"

I clapped for her, because I was happy for her! Obviously, Luke is a nice guy, and the laughing and staring thing this morning was mistaken. I liked Luke, and I could tell Jessie did too. "When's he gonna do it?" I asked.

"I heard at lunch." Amanda answered. She peered past us and she smiled. "Hey look, there he is!" 

Jessie and I slowly turned around and saw Luke with Nick. Dammit. But, Luke was diffidently looking over at Jessie. She smiled, and waved, and batted her eye lashes.

"I don't think he can see from all the way over there." I laughed.

"Shit I needa go retake a test." Amanda muttered as she looked down at her phone. "Good luck!"

We said goodbye to her, and Luke kept looking at Jessie. Eventually, he waved her over to him.

"I need you to come with me."

"What?" I asked. "No way! Nick is like, right there."

"Please?" She begged. "I'm so nervous right now! I haven't liked anyone since..."

Her voice trailed off.

"Since what?" I asked.

"I don't know." She replied quickly. She looked back over to Luke, then to me. "Please?"

"Ugh, alright," I replied. "But, if I have to look at Nick you owe me big time."

She smiled and started walking over to the empty middle of the courtyard, me stumbling behind her. My eyes went over to Nick and he was staring at the ground, his feet shuffling nervously. Luke looked pretty fucking nervous too, as well as Jessie. Aw, thats cute.

"Hey!" She said happily as we finally got over to them. It was just the four of us, and I felt so fucking awkward.

"Hey." Luke smiled. He took a deep breath and exhaled. "Look, um, I know this is like, kind of sudden-"

I was listening to what he was going to say to Jessie, but his words were ceased suddenly. I tilted my head in confusion, but then I felt a strong force on my shoulder. My eyes darted over to see Ashton, his elbow resting on me.

"Hey, Lads." he said casually yet very sarcastically.

Shit.

My eyes shot over to Jessie, and she looked disgusted. I looked over to Luke and Nick, and they looked terrified. "Is there an issue here?" Ashton asked.

"N-no..." Luke said. I saw Jessie mouth the word "yes" out of the corner of my eyes. Ashton glared at Nick with blazing green eyes.

"Beat it."

Nick's eyes widened slightly, and he backed away. I wanted to laugh at him, but that would blow my cover even more. Ashton took his arm off my shoulder and pursed his lips. The air fell awkward and uncomfortable.