CHAPTER TWENTY

I ran out of Mr. Vallen's office, and out of the administration building. I almost tripped over my stumbling feet as I tried to get as far away from this school as possible. I didn't understand what was going on. Maybe it was the pain in my head from Nick's blow, or maybe it was the fact that Ashton just told me he liked me. Either way, I was very confused.

Even though I had hoped, I would have never guessed Ashton had feelings for me. But, the way he said it, and the way he looked like he wanted to cry helps me conclude that he was not fucking with me. I didn't hit me until I was halfway down the stairs to the back parking lot of Palo Verde. I was about to call my mom to come pick me up, but I suddenly stopped as a voice spoke in my head.

He likes you.

Thats when I began to run. I ran as fast as I could, through the back parking lot and out the back enterance to campus. I kept running, and running, and running. I wanted to stop but my legs wouldn't let me. The desert heat made it almost impossible to breathe, but I didn't care. I kept running for another 10 minutes as I finally skidded to a hault infront of my house. I flung the door open and rushed inside the kitchen to see a very startled mother of mine.

"Brooke!" she said angrily. I didn't listen. I sped past her and snatched her car keys off the rack and turned back.

"Brooke Anderson!" my mother yelled.

"What, mom?" I snapped, coming to a hault. I didn't mean to snap at her, but it just kinda slipped out.

"What happened today? I get a call from the office saying you got in a fight?! And what happened to your face? Who did this?!"

She sounded so incredibly worried and scared I could tell she was about to cry. I sighed, and tried to calm down the blood rushing through my veins.

"Look, mom," I said calmly. "I have to do something. I will be right back, and I will tell you everything, okay?"

I didn't wait for a reasponse, and I turned and rushed out of the house. I practically dove into my mom's car and backed out of my driveway. At this point, my mind wasn't controlling any part of my body. I had no idea why I was doing this, but I made no effort to stop myself.

I pulled onto the dirt road and still didn't have a reason why I was doing this. I finally stopped the car and got out, the heat instantly feeling worse than over in the city.

Ashton's little trailer stood infront of me. It looked all alone and sad. I had no idea if Irene was here or not, but I didn't care. I slowly walked up to the door. I knocked, and waited. I probably waited for 2 minutes until I concluded that Ashton's Grandmother was not here. I pushed on the door, and it creaked right open. I was surprised at how easy that was. But then again, who would rob a run-down trailer in the middle of the desert?

I stepped inside, and was now beginning to regret coming here. First of all, the heat in this room was the worst its ever been. And second of all, I still didn't know why I even came here. I folded my arms over my chest and looked around. It looked how I remember seeing it last week, only Ashton's box drum was in the middle of the room. I smiled to myself and walked over to it. Now that I look at closely, It looked like it was at least 10 years old and that Ashton found it in the dumpster. I sighed and patted on it a couple times, the familiar sound echoing in my ears.

"Hello?" I said outloud for some reason. No answer. My curious eyes took me over to 2 other doors near the back of the room. I concluded they were probably the bathroom and Irene's room. I pushed the bathroom door open, and looked around the small room to see the most medication bottles I've ever seen on a single counter. My eyes widened slightly and I shut the door immediately. I turned to Irene's bedroom door and opened it.