CHAPTER SIXTY FIVE

I woke up the next morning around 5:45, a groan escaping my mouth as I rolled off the couch. It was really, really hot in here right now.

"Don't be so loud," My grandmother laughed as she walked out of her room. "You might wake up all the neighbors."

"Right, sorry." I played along, throwing on a t-shirt that I found on the floor. Maybe I should go down to the laudromat sometime soon, because the few items of clothing I owned were becoming quite dirty. I got up off the floor and saw her staring at me.

"When do you get your first pay check?" She asked. I pursed my lips and got up, slippng a pair of jeans up my legs. "I'm not sure," I replied. "I can talk to Cooper today, I'm going over there after school."

"Yeah, that'd be great," she said. The room fell silent as I packed all my stuff up for school. "I've been saving my money, you know."

"Really?" I asked. I know working at a gas station doesn't really pay for that much, but the only thing that I can think of that we pay for is really gas for the car. She pays for food herself, and I usually rely on Michael or Calum's parents to feed me, since they always offer to. For some reason, a wierd feeling of hope fluttered through my heart. 

"Mhm," she replied. "So maybe we can get that apartment. Like, soon."

"Its really not that much," Is stated, slinging my bag over my shoulder. "I would help pay for it, remember?" I gave her a quick kiss on the forehead and said goodbye for now. I walked to my car, and thanked the gods that it was somewhat cooler out here this morning.

...

I pulled up to school, and reluctanly turned off the radio and slumped back in my seat. I was pretty early, as I find myself always arriving way before I used to. Probably because of Brooke, but thats totally okay with me. I decided to text Brooke, like I always do. I pulled my phone out of my back pocket, and was surprised to see the screen flashing, a new message from Brooke.

"Gooooood morning! Ha, I beat you to it today"  It said. I couldn't help but smile to myself as I got out of my car, shutting the door behind me and slimming down the wrinkles on my t-shirt. 

"Dammit, I was gonna say something incredibly poetic an inspiring to you this morning, but I guess you beat me to it :(" I sent. I walked up the steps of the back enterance to the courtyard, and scanned the area for anyone that I hate, which wouldn't be that hard. Sure enough, Jessie was sitting alone, her eyes glued to her phone. I sighed, and made sure to keep my eyes on the ground as i walked past her. I stopped dead in my tracks as I heard a light chuckle come from her.

"Can you like, not give me shit for one day?" I said frustratedly, turning to face her. 

"Can you like, not talk to me for one day?" She snapped back.

"I wasn't talking to you," I retorted. "You were kind of asking for it."

"You didn't have to make a deal about it." She said. I rolled my eyes and turned back to where I was originally walking to. I could see Michael and Sydney over by the tree, and it seemed to be so much further than it actually was. 

"Yeah fuck you too." I called over my shoulder. I stuffed my hands in my pockets and hastily made my way to the tree to find Michael and Sydney making out.

"Ahem," I cleared my throat. Michael's eyes shot over to me as he pulled his lips away from Sydney's. "Thank you."

"We saw that." Michael laughed, pointing over to Jessie who was now talking with some other people. 

"She seems like a bitch." Sydney said. 

"Yeah, definitely." I agreed with a sigh. We all went silent for a couple seconds, and I looked up at Michael, who just shrugged and continued to make out with Sydney.