CHAPTER FOURTY SIX

It was about 10:00 by now, and I did not text my mom yet. I didn't even realize that I didn't until my phone vibrated in my back pocket. We were all in Michael's living room/kitchen. Most of us were on the couch, but Ashton and I were in the kitchen, making pasta for our hungry selves.

"Shit it's my mom." I muttered as I looked at my screen.

"You didn't text her?" Ashton asked.

"I forgot!" I paniced. 

"Tell her you're staying at my house!" Natalie's voice said from over in the other room. I nodded to myself, and unlocked my phone.

"Hello?" I said into it.

"Where the hell are you?" My mother replied. I kept my eyes on Ashton as he stood at Michael's stove, stirring a pot of boiling water and noodles.

"I'm so sorry mom," I lied. "I totally forgot to text you! I'm staying with Natalie at her house tonight. You know Natalie, I went to the mall with her?"

"Oh, well you could've told me." My mom said.

"I know I'm sorry I'm sorry," I mumbled. "I'll text you in the morning, okay?"

"You better." She replied and she hung up instantly. Well shit.

"I think she's mad at me," I said loud enough for everyone in the other room to hear. "What do I do?"

"Just ignore it babe," Ashton replied. "Looks like you need a place to sleep now...Michael, we're staying here tonight."

"Why is it always my house?"

"C'mon man!"

"Ugh, fine."

I gave Ashton a little kiss on cheek in gratitude, and helped him finish making our dinner. We brought it over to the kitchen table where the rest of them sat, and spent the next 30 minutes talking about nothing really important. The boys talked about some ideas they had for new songs and whatnot, and I just listened contently. I was actually quite interested in all the things they discussed regaurdng their band. They kepy talking about how much they really need a lead singer/guitarist, and my mind seemed to picture Luke. I feel like Luke would actually be really good friend's with these guys if they gave him a chance, but that obvioulsy won't happen. Luke is a popular football player, which is completely different from Ashton and his friends. Not in a bad way, of course. Personally, I liked this crowd much better.

"When's your parents gonna be home?" Ashton asked as he placed both of our plates in the sink.

"Tomorrow," Michael replied. "Some buisness thing, they're at."

"What do they do?" I asked out of curiosity.

"I honestly have no idea," Michael replied with a laugh. "Some accounting crap that barely pays for the air condtioning."

Everyone laughed, as iI they could relate to Michael's words, except me. I began to feel a little out of place, and a little spoiled. I didn't know why, though. It wasn't my fault my mom was a doctor and my dad owned his own company and I seemed to have so much more than everyone I'm sat with...I guess I just got lucky. I looked down to my knees, as if I was too ashamed to look at anyone in the eyes.

I felt Ashton's warm arm wrap around my shoulders, and I let out a relaxed sigh as he brought me closer to his body, kissing my temple. "Hi." He said quietly, so no one else could hear him. I didn't see how they could, though, because they were all cracking up at something Calum had said. I looked up to Ashton and gave him a soft kiss on the nose. making him smile cheekily.

"You see Calum?" Natalie said. I looked over across the table to see her staring at me and Ashton. "Why don't you smile at me like that?"

"Why don't you kiss my nose like that?" He said back. I could tell they were joking, but their subtle gesture to tell us that we were cute made my heart flutter. Michael's eyes darted around the table and he quickly draped his arm around Sydney's shoulder.