CHAPTER TEN

Before I knew it, it was Wenesday. I had periods 2, 4, and 6, and I have to tutor Ashton after school. I walked into school to find my friends at our usual spot. "Hiii!" I greeted. 

"Hey hottieeee." Jessie joked. I gave her a little push. I looked past her to see Nick walking by with a couple of his football friends. His gaze met mine, and we smiled at eachother. I laughed and looked away. "You guys are so cute and you haven't even gone a date yet." Amannda said. The bell soon rang and before I knew it i was off to my first period of the day.

2nd period went by very fast and so did 4th. Theyre pretty easy classes. Before I knew it, it was 6th period. I had english with Jessie....and Ashton. Jessie and I walked to Mr. Perkins' room after the lunch bell rang. We sat down in our seats and waited for the rest of the class to file in. "Afternoon, class." Mr. Perkins said once class had started. My eyes wandered to the back of the room. Not sure why, but they did. There was Ashton, slumped down in his seat, his foot nervously tapping the floor and his head resting on his hand. He looked incredibly bored. "...We are going to be starting 'The Great Gatsby'". Mr. Perkins' voice said from the front of the class. As soon as the words left his mouth, Ashton's head perked up, a sudden burst of interest shone in his hazel eyes. I turned back to the front of the room to see Mr. Perkins handing out copies of the book. I've never read it, but I've heard of it and I've been wanting to read it.

We got some background information on the book and read the first chapter. It was kind of confusing. But, the bell soon rang and I brushed the already confusing novel off my shoudlers. I looked around the room of exiting students, only to see Ashton no where in side. I guess thats probably a good, thing, considerng I would hate for Jessie to see me leave campus with him. "Hey, I gotta go tutor." I said as Jessie and I left the classroom. "Alright! have fun!" Jessie said as she gave me a quick hug. I ducked my way around all the kids in the courtyard and made my way down to the back parking lot. I texted my mother, letting her know I was tutoring this afternoon. I scanned the area until I saw a junky red pick up truck not too far away. I hastily made my way over to it, to see Ashton leaning up agaist the hood, a cloud of smoke slipping through his lips. He terrified me on certain levels.

"Hi." I said quietly. Ashton nodded and hopped into the drivers seat of the truck. I shakily got into the passenger seat, hugging my bag to my body. "Do you care if I play music?" Ashton asked.

"i-"

"I actually don't care." He interrupted me. I sighed as he turned on the radio. A familiar yet intimidating song comes blasting through the speaker. Nirvana. My dad used to like the band. As we drove, I kept looking at Ashton through the corner of my eyes. He would blow out smoke every now and then as he tapped his (actully very large) hands on the steering wheel. Smoke relectantly filled my lungs, and I made my best efforts to not  seem bugged by it. As the music blasted out the open windows, I noticed we were getting dirty looks from adults in passing cars. I tried my best not to seem hurt by this; I wasn't really used that. 

We kept driving until we finally pulled out of town and onto the dirt road that led to his home. There it was, that small, sad trailer, all by its self. "Here." Ashton mumbled as he put the truck in park. I followed him inside. "Gram?" Ashton said as he opened the door. A spark of happiness fluttered through my heart at the fact that he calls his grandmother "Gram". 

Irene walked out of the back room and her face lit up instantly. "Hi Ash!" She said happily as she gave him a hug. She gave me one as well. She really was an adorable little woman. "I've gotta run to work, may I borrow the car?" She asked. Ashton nodded and handed her the keys. She left, and followed Ashton to the couch. 

"Sorry for all the hugs." He said. 

"No, no its okay," I assured. "She's so sweet."

Ashton shrugged and started digging through his backback. He through out a pack of cigarrettes and a pair of head phones. He finally found what he seemed to be looking for: a piece of paper. He handed it to me. A geometry quiz. 46%.