CHAPTER FOURTY NINE

I slammed on the breaks as I came to the end of my empty street. The lost momentum caused my body to lean foreward, and slump back aganist the seat. I was breathing quite hard, and my clouded mind couldn't figure out as to why I had walked out of that house, leaving such fowl words hanging in the air. My father had looked beyond pissed off, but it shouldn't bother him that much...especially after that episode between him and my mom. 

I curled my legs to my body, and sat there, rocking back and fourth. My shallow breaths and hot tears seemed to be more soothing than being in that asylum of awkwarness and desperateness that I call my home. 

I worried me, to be honest. The last thing I would ever want is for something to happen to our family...Like what happened to Ashton's. If what my brother had told me the other day was true, then what's to come next? I was never awake to hear any of the "fighting" my brother claimed went down almost every morning, and quite frankly, I don't want to be. Ever. 

Surely nothing too intense could happen, right? Maybe this is just a bump in their relationship. Yeah, that's probably it. I wouldn't have any experience to know, but I'm pretty sure all couples have those thing. Me and Ashton will probably have some of those too, eventually. It must be normal.

Ashton. My thoughts instantly went to him, and more tears came to my eyes. I didn't know why I was crying right now, there are just so many emotions flying through my head in these long minutes that I sat in my idle car. It felt hotter than usual in here, and I closed my eyes, resting my head back on the seat. "Ashton." I half whispered. I pulled my phone out of my pocket, and I ended up failing to punch in the right passcode three times, due to my excessive shakiness. "FUCK." I yelled outloud, even though no one could hear me. I finally got in, and scrolled down to Ashton's contact.

I let out another breathless cry as it went to his answering machine almost instantly. It must be out of batteries. I thought to myself with a sigh. I tossed my phone to the seat next to me, and started the car up again. There was ne fucking way I'm going back to my house tonight, so might as well just go to Ashton's. I just needed to see his face and hear his voice right now; it would diffidently make me feel better.

I sped down the road once more, and kept the car silent the whole ride out of my neighborhood and to the Strip. I didn't seem to be distracted by anything this time, because my eyes were glued right to the road, as if that would get me to Ashton's quicker. I finally took a turn out of downtown, driving through Michael's neigborhood on the way. I prayed to God Ashton would be where I thought he was, because I really didn't feel like going on a man-hunt for him. I took one last turn, onto the old dirt road that took me over to Ashton's trailer. I saw the lonely piece of machinery not too far away down the road. The one window was lit up, making it very distinguiable out here the darkness. 

I pulled my mom's car to a stop right beside Ashton's red truck, its presence giving me hope that Ashton was home. I took a step out of the car, and I was taken back byh ow cold it gets out here, being liberated from all the heated schenanigans that go on back in the city. I wrapped my tired arms around my body, trying to heat myself up as I walked right up to the front door. I knocked on the old door a couple times, and took a step back. I waited a couple seconds, and finally the door opened.

Ashton stood there, in black skinny jeans and a maroon crewneck sweatshirt. His hair was moppy and his concerned eyes shone through his big black glasses he was wearing. He looked utterly confused to see me at his door, and also very confused as to why I was crying. But, he still looked perfect.

"Brooke?" He asked, stepping down onto the ground and quietly shutting the door behind him.

"Hi." I squeaked.