CHAPTER FORTY THREE

I woke up the next morning around 9:30 am, the bright sunshine almost blinding my tired eyes. I threw my covers over my head and groaned, because I was not yet ready to wake up. I let my eyes adjust to the morning light, and peaked out of my blanket. I heard a vibration come from my phone on the floor, and I reached down and snatched it into my hands. I smiled to myself to see I had a shit load of messages from Ashton.

"Its so early"

"why am I awake you ask?"

"I dont know"

"when can YOU wake up first for a change??"

"I wish i was beside you"

"hey those could be song lyrics"

"beside youuu"

"Im writing that shit down"

"WAKE UP"

I let out a laugh and replied to his many messages.

"Im awake what do you want"

"Its about time" he replied. "i need that application thingy"

"i'll give it to you tonight?"

"are you asking me on a date, brooke anderon?"

"you forgot the s"

"fuck this"

"And yes, i guess I am asking you on a date. Will you hang out with me tonight?"

"I'll have to check my schedule, but I'm sure I can make time for you :-)"

I laughed and rolled out of bed, and headed downstairs to eat breakfast.

*Ashton's POV*

I skidded my truck to a hault infront of the gas station, because I needed red bull to wake me the fuck up. I wanted to go into the actual complex of the apartment I want, and just look around. I feel like I'm always going over there, but I just want that place so badly. I hopped out of my car, and pushed the door open to the gas station. I looked around the hot and almost empty room, until I found the refridgerated area.

I stopped dead in my tracks as I heard a familiar and douche-baggy voice. I peered over to where I was going to see both Nick and Luke. Oh, awesome. I rolled my slumped shoulders back and slowly walked over, keeping my head somewhat down. I hid the smile on my face, because I really hope I scare the shit out of them.

"C'mon," Luke said to Nick. "Football starts in 20 minutes."

"Oh no, wouldn't want to miss that." I said sarcastically as I walked up next to them, my eyes looking around for a damn redbull. I ganced over to them and smiled, and Nick looked about ready to bolt out of here. Luke looked pretty terrified too. Good.

"Why are you always here, man?" I kept talking.

"Its on my way to practice." Luke squeaked. "Why are you always here?"

"Its on the way to Brooke's house." Nick said with a forced smirk. Luke gave him a push.

"Shut up." Luke mumbled.

"No," I cut in. "He's right. It is on the way to Brooke's house, along with half the other girls you've probably played." I raised my eyebrows at him and he rolled his eyes.

"Really-" He started to say. But Luke gave him a shove.

"Nick quiet down and let's go." He said, barely audible. Nick sighed but walked off, shoving the door open, not waiting for Luke. Luke turned to go, but I stopped him.

"Hey," I said. Luke turned and looked at me, waiting for me to keep talking. "Why did you do that?"

"I don't know," Luke shrugged. "He's kind of a dick in that way." We both went silent for a couple seconds. Luke looked really uncomfortbale, and i could tell I probably did too. Suddenly, Luke held out his fist and looked me in the eyes. I didn't move.

"Well don't leave me hanging." He said. I let out a small laugh and tapped my knuckles with his. He gave me a shy smile, and walked out of the room. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked back to the fridge, confused on what just happened. I shrugged to myself, and took a red bull off the shelf. Luckily, I had found a 5 dollar bill on the street this morning, so hell yeah. I payed for it and stepped outside, the morning heat making me sweat. I sighed tiredly and walked to my car.

As I shoved the key into it, I heard the skid of fancy tires on the road next to me. I turned to see Luke's nice as fuck Escalade driving towards our school. I rolled my eyes and sped out of the parking lot. I turned the radio on, and tapped the steering wheel to some song I didn't really know, until I finally got off the freeway and onto the Strip. This road of hotels is really odd to see during the morning, because all you see is hungover men trying to find where they were staying, and crying prostitues trying to fix the tear on their tights. Someone could write a book on this city; I would read it.

I recognized the street that the apartments sat in, and I laughed to myself as I passed the oh-so-famous liqour store. It made me think of Brooke, and I smiled. I slowed down as I drove further and further down the street, until I found the alleyway that led to the actual enterance to the complex. It was dark and quite lonely, but it was alright. I parked against the wall of the bookstore, and stepped out, thanful I was wearing shoes. This alley's ground is covered with beer and cigarette buds. Not much different from what I'm used to, but still. I walked with my hands stuffed in make pockets, hoping no one was nearby to jump me. I walked a little bit further, and took a turn into a small courtyard. By the simlar buildings surrounding me, I could tell this was what I was looking for. How nifty.

I saw a small office at the end of the courtyard, and the flickering "open" sign and crooked door looked promising. I walked into the administation office, and saw an old guy sitting at a counter, a wall of gold keys behind him. He looked up at the sound of my enterance, and his bagged eyes met mine.

"Hi." I said awkwardly.

"What can I do for you?" He asked. He seemed nice, just not happy with his job.

"Uh, I was wondering if there are any apartments like, left?" I replied, walking in further and resting my hands on the counter.

"There are about 10 left in the complex," he said. "The last one was bought about 6 months ago, so I don't think you'll have much to worry about. How long until you're ready to buy?"

"Until I get enough money, I guess." I said. The room went silent for a couple seconds. The guy rubbed his tired eyes and sighed.

"How old are you, son?" he asked. I slightly cringed at the fact that he called me "son."

"Uh, seventeen." I replied, not quite sure as to where he was going with this.

"Stay in school," he said. "Don't drop out marry at this age and don't move out of your house until you graduate. Keeping a steady job to pay for your own place is harder than it looks."

"Okay...well, I'm not..." my voice trailed off, and I wanted to laugh at this situation. "...I'll uh, I'll be back some other time." I said. I gave him a nod and turned to walk out.

"There's so much more for you to do!" he called out as I shut the door behind me. I let out a quiet chuckle, and walked back to my car. I guess I'll just go to Michael's house for the rest of the afternoon, and I'll take Brooke somewhere tonight. 

I climbed into my car and sped out of the creepy alley way, but skidded back to hault as my eyes locked onto the book store that rested underneath someof the apartments. I quickly parked on the side walk and got back out. 

Maybe I'll just stay here. I thought to myself.