Colors (AU)

Soulmate AU where you're colorblind until you look into your soulmate's eyes.

***

Taylor wasn't that nervous. It was only a small pep rally for the entire school. And she was put front and center for the first part of their performance. Yay

She took a few deep breaths, calming herself down. You'll do fine, she told herself. Just relax and focus on the routine.

"Alright girls, it's almost time!" Maddi said, giving the cheerleading squad a pep talk. Taylor nodded along, her nerves slowly diminishing.

The music in the gym stopped, followed by a round of applause from the audience in the bleachers.

The cheerleaders got in line and entered the loud gym. Taylor was too nervous to make eye contact with anyone watching.

They got into their positions and the music started playing. Taylor immediately started performing, knowing the routine by heart through hours of practice. She was starting to relax and have fun. She looked up into the bleachers, presenting a huge smile for the audience. Her eyes roamed the bleachers, the deafening sound of everyone cheering filling her senses. She took it all in, using the energy from the crowd to gain more confidence in their performance and herself. She was too immersed in it all that she almost missed it. 

Slowly, but surely, everything changed. 

No longer did she see black, white, and gray. They were replaced with something more vibrant and exciting. Colors. She could see colors.

She gasped and looked around, as if looking at the gym for the first time. In her mind, she was. Everything looked so much brighter and better in color.

She froze, taking in the new experience. It was wonderful. And then someone nudged her from the back and she realized that she was just standing in front of the crowd, having missed the cue to start the second part of the performance. She hastily improvised a quick backhand spring to get into position, her smile brighter than ever. 

She could finally see

-=-

The cheerleaders screamed in excitement as they left the gym and entered the girls locker rooms. 

"That was so much better than last year!"

"It was so much fun!"

Taylor smiled, still in shock from her newfound perspective of life. Everyone else was still talking about their performance, expressing their favorite parts. Taylor hummed to herself as she opened her locker. She smiled as she picked up various objects, identifying their colors for the first time. Her brush was a light blue, with purple polka dots. The small perfume bottle that she used after gym class was a beautiful pink. Her old shirt that she used during practice was an alarmingly bright orange. Huh, no wonder why her mom didn't like it. 

"Hey, Tay. What're you doing?" Taylor looked up at Katie. She smiled.

"Our uniforms are purple." 

The noise of everyone else's conversations ceased. She looked around the locker room, her smile widening at their confused expressions.