TWENTY TWO

Niall's POV

I stare into the eyes of a five months old baby and wonder why he's starring back. I can't remember what happened last night but I somehow landed in Clair's house. She is talking right now, telling me things that I should know. Things like "You don't get into a car, drunk and drive to your assistant's house." She says things like "You stay at home and sleep in out" or things like "You don't drive when you had six beers, you just don't." She says everything that I should know and I know that I know them, deep down where a sober Niall would have found and recall those things. The sober Niall wouldn't have gotten in a car at God knows what time. It was very late, that's for sure. But apparently the drunk Niall forgot all those things last night. All those things... and that I'm should be old enough. Old enough to understand. She says that I have responsibilities and that I can't be reckless anymore, that I can't not care anymore.

"Are you even listening?" Clair asks and I shake my head no. "At least you're honest." She mumbles and leaves the living room again. I still stare at her baby, sitting in that bouncy thingy. He's young. He doesn't have responsibilities, doesn't have to care and can be reckless. I wish I was him. All he has to do it drink milk, poop, sleep, smile a little for his parents and then drink milk, poop and sleep again.

 In the corner of my eye, I see Clair and her husband talking and start to listen. "When did he arrive?" Clair's husband asks.

"He came around one a.m. and I put him to bed in the guest bedroom." Clair explains and I see brackets of last night in front of my eyes. "He was pretty drunk..." She tells her husband as I remember that I got into my car, drunk. Drove around, sang to songs on the radio, drove to the side of the rode and eventually started to cry again, drunk. "He mumbled things that I couldn't understand... I think he mentioned his ex's name, but I'm not sure... at least he seems to be fine now." She says and I feel her eyes and her husband's eyes looking at me, checking if that statement is even correct.

"Why didn't you wake me up?" Clair's husband asks. I look at them, seeing her shrug and cup his cheek. I know that she's probably going to kiss him and that I should look away but I can't.

"You were tired enough and Niall was easy to handle anyways." Clair explains and kisses her husband. He kisses her back, puts his hands on her waist and only when their son sneezes, I manage to look away. Their son, made of their love, still stares at me and I wonder what he thinks when he sees me. He's five months old, do five months old even think? He sneezes again and Clair and her husband pull away.

"Niall, what do you want for breakfast?" Clair's voice suddenly tears me out of the starring battle that I had with her baby.

"I'm not hungry." I mumble and look up to her. Her husband goes over to their son and gives him a kiss before leaving the room. Clair has moved, as I watched her husband leave, and stands next to the door that leads to the kitchen.

"Don't lie, Niall." She says, making me chuckle shortly.

"I'll eat whatever you desire to make me, Clair." I say, making her smile.

"Great." She nods approving and disappears in the kitchen, leaving me alone with her son who sneezes again. He has her lips and I wonder what my and Olivia's child would get if he were to get one. Would it have my eyes, her nose, her lips and my hair? Or would it have her eyes, my nose, my lips and her hair?

I look around in the living room until I see a picture of Clair and her husband together. I scan their faces and then of their son's. He has his father's eyes and darker hair than either of them. His cheeks are rosy and the look of his face innocent. He sneezes again and the door to the kitchen opens. Clair comes in and picks up her son. "A sneeze again..." She puts the back of her hand on his forehead to check if he is too hot and gives him a kiss on the cheek. "We'll have to see the doctor later, won't we?" She says and softly pokes his cheek. I notice the tone change in her voice going higher when she talks to him and follow her into the kitchen. Clair puts the little boy into his high chair and goes back to the stove.