THIRTY NINE

Olivia's POV

"I know but—!" Niall closes the door behind him as he talks on the phone to someone. I have no idea who he is talking to, nor how long the call has already been going on. My eyes feel heavy and tired and my mind is blank as I fix my gaze on the line of light that's shining through the gap between floor and door. Niall's talking loudly to the phone, but it sounds like a mumble to me. I sit up on the couch and take my phone. It's only 8 in the evening.

After Niall and I talked in the kitchen, I finished my tea before he went into the living room. I laid down and Niall picked up his guitar. He started to play and mumbled new lyrics that I haven't heard before as my eyes slowly closed.

Now he has stopped to talk and a second later, the door opens and he walks over to me with a very, very weak smile. "Did I wake you up?" He asks as he sits down next to me.

"No." I lie and shake my head. He puts his hand on my back and I rest my head on his shoulder. His other hand meets mine and just holds it. I love holding hands. His are my favorite. It's an everyday thing we do and something that neither of us pays a lot attention to. We just do it and when we do, I really enjoy it. Just holding his hand and knowing that it's him I'm holding, knowing that he is all mine and I am all his. It has more meaning than just sex, just like a kiss on the forehead has more than one on the cheek. A kiss on the forehead means protection and security and loyalty to me. One doesn't just kiss someone else's forehead for fun. Whereas a kiss on the cheek is more playful, a little thank you and a little good feeling. I love both. And holding hands is so simple, yet so beautiful. Stroking each other's skin, playing with the other's fingers. It can be done in silence, in private, even if everyone is around. Whereas sex is wilder, more fun and more exciting. Exploring every inch of the other's body, kissing and teasing and moaning. I love both.

"Who were you talking to?" I ask, biting my lip. "It sounded like a... discussion."

"It was just work. Nothing for you to worry about." He smiles and kisses my forehead. I smile happily as Niall stands up again. "I'll be right back." He mumbles and quickly leaves the room again. His phone is on the coffee table and without thinking and without hesitation, I grab it. OEH. And I'm in. My mind is blank as I check his recent calls. Ethan. Ethan. Ethan. Niall has been talking to Ethan and not work. They've talked three minutes, then ten and then nearly half an hour. It was Ethan who he had a discussion with. Not work. But what are they discussing?

I put his phone down just in time. Niall comes back, biting his lip and thinking hard. "Is everything all right?" I ask as he sits back down next to me. He nods but doesn't look up. "Are you sure, love?" I put one hand on his thigh and the other on his cheek, turning his face to look at me.

"Yeah, I'm just planning something for the tour." He says and smiles with his lips but his not eyes. Something is wrong. Niall cups my cheeks and kisses my lips. I want to kiss him back but a phone rings and we pull apart. It's mine.

"Dad?" I take my phone, seeing my dad's name on the screen, and pick up the call. He normally never calls this late. "Dad, is everything okay?" I ask instantly. Niall puts his hand on my back and watches my faces changing from confused, to concerned.

"Your grandma is at the hospital. The nurse who had night shift called me and told me that she called them herself. I don't know what happened, nor why she called them." Dad explains quickly. I can hear him move around his office at home and getting out of the house and into his car.

"What do you mean you don't know? Dad, where are you now?"

"I'm on my way to the hospital. The guy on the phone only told me that she's there. I already told Ethan. And Olivia, she'll be fine." Dad says and I take a deep breath. Niall looks at me confused, not knowing a thing about what my dad is telling me.