TWENTY FOUR

Olivia's POV

My heart skips a beat and I can't breathe. Niall stands up from the chair and rubs my back. I have to take deep breaths as tears roll down my cheek. Even Dr. Hilton doesn't know what to say. She's probably used to tell the good news of being pregnant and not the bad news of the lost of a child. I only found out about the pregnancy this week and now the baby is gone. My heart is racing and my body is heating up. I'm sad and mad at the same time. Sad, because I lost a baby that I never got to know and see. I'll never know if it was a girl or a boy. If he or she had my face or Niall's. If he or she would have had a happy life. It breaks my heart knowing that it existed but never got to see the world. And then I'm mad because I should have looked if a car was coming or not. Mad, because I was distracted by looking at Niall. And mad because the driver drove into me. I guess, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time – we were.

"I'm so sorry, Olivia. I know that it must be very hard for you but please, you have a lot more chances to get pregnant again. You are young and have your whole life in front of you. I promise you that there are plenty more chances of having a baby." Dr. Hilton breaks the silent and gives me the cup filled with water that stood on the nightstand. I take a sip and put it back before I nod.

"Thank you, Dr. Hilton. Thank you." Is all I can say. I look down and avoid eye contact with Niall. I just can't look into the eyes that my baby could have had.

Dr. Hilton carefully takes a step back and quietly leaves the door. I hear the door shut, but don't move. It's like I'm frozen as Niall still rubs my back.

"Was it a girl or a boy?" He asks quietly.

I shrug. "We'll never know." My voice is a whisper and I have to hold back any more tears. Niall cups my cheeks with both his hands and slowly lifts up my face to connect his eyes with mine.

"I bet it was as beautiful as you are." Niall smiles softly and I manage to chuckle short. He kisses my forehead and sits down on the bed. I manage to weakly smile at him as he pulls me into a hug. I fight the urge to cry but I can't and tears just stream down my face. Niall doesn't say a thing, doesn't try to make the situation better because there is nothing that could make it better. He can't bring the baby back with magical powers, he can't turn back time and prevent everything that happened. All he can do is hold me in his arms.

I can't remember how and when but eventually we laid down and fell asleep. At least, I did and now I hear Niall talking but his voice seems to be miles away from me. I rub my eyes open and try to sit up but my body hurts and I stop trying after a few seconds. I close my eyes again and take deep breaths. Carefully, as if it's going to break, I put my hand on my stomach. It has a bandage around it and I feel tears building up again. No, I think, I can't cry again. I've been crying over the last six weeks non stop and it has to end. Ignoring the growing pain that I feel all around my body, I sit up and put my legs over the edge of the bed. Deep breath and... I try to stand but feel a sharp pain in my stomach and gasp.

"Olivia! Help!" Niall shouts and someone else runs over to me and holds me up. It's a nurse and she doesn't let go of my week self until Niall is next to me and takes in her position. I don't know where he was but he must have been near or else he wouldn't have seen me and scream for help this quick. Unless he's superman, which I doubt, even though he's pretty amazing.

"I'm fine." I lie and shut my eyes as I take deep breaths. The nurse leaves the room again and Niall looks at me with big and worried eyes.

"Don't lie to me." He says and helps me sit down on the bed. "What are you trying to do anyway? You just had an accident." Niall stands himself between my legs and puts his hands on my shoulders as I look up to him.