THIRTY ONE

Olivia's POV

It's finally Friday, which means the beginning of the weekend, no classes for two days and a date night with Niall. Since it's Valentines Day today the mood around the campus is much better and at the same time worst than on other days. You can clearly separate someone who's in a relationship from someone who hasn't found the right person quite yet. It's the smile that gives away the relationship status. Not that happy smile that someone taken or someone single can have, but that special smile where the eyes smile as well and you just can tell that they smile because of someone else, someone special. Maybe it was a sweet good morning text, maybe a present or maybe delicious breakfast, which triggered that smile and made it impossible to stop smiling for the next couple of hours. Breakfast in bed was the reason for mine. I woke up extra early, thinking that Niall probably had planned to surprise me with breakfast in bed as well, and made pancakes for us. A lot of pancakes to be specific. I stacked them all on a plate, which I put on a tray that I found in one of the many cabinets in Niall's kitchen, and put chocolate syrup and wipe cream on the side. Shortly before six and just as I made his coffee, Niall hobbled into the kitchen. We both laughed out loud and I told him to resume back to bed. He hobbled back and I waited a couple of minutes before following him into the bedroom. I put the tray over his legs and sat down across from him. I started feeding him and myself, switching from chocolate syrup to wipe cream, to put on the pancakes, every now and then. We ate and laughed and talked. I tried to get some information about our date tonight but Niall wouldn't say a thing and just shook his head at me with a grin.

With the smile that Niall put on my face, I went to Starbucks to meet up with my brother and it was the first thing he noticed. And I noticed his too, since the smile on his face was just as big as mine. But instead of having breakfast in bed, he had an early Skype video chat with his girlfriend, Jazzy.

And now I sit in my first class, with that smile that just won't go, no matter how hard I try to keep it down. I try to focus and take as many notes as possible but my head keeps drifting over to tonight's date and the dream of the two little kids in the garden. I just can't stop thinking about what Niall might have planned for us. The little surprise he prepared for me when he asked me to his girlfriend was already amazing, our first official date was even more than amazing and now it's Valentine's Day. Niall is a planner and he doesn't do things just half way. And then there's the dream that I can't stop thinking about either. I've had it every night since Monday and I have the strong feeling that it must mean something, else I wouldn't dream it every night, right?

"Ms. Hemmings, are you paying attention?" The professor suddenly calls me out. I blush bright red as everyone else in the room stares at me. I want to disappear and get as far away from everyone as possible.

"No, sir. Sorry, sir." I look down and bite my lip.

"If you want to pass this class, you have to pay attention." He says and I nod understanding. He resumes back to his lecture as my cheeks slowly cool down. The rest of the class stop to stare at me and continue to listen to the professor just like I try to do. I've managed to stop smiling now, because of the embarrassment and all the stares but as soon as I my thoughts drift over to Niall, my smile forms on my lips again. I keep my head down and listen with one ear to the professor. Niall is such a distraction, today more than ever. But I don't mind it at all.

When all my classes are over and the clock finally hits 3 pm, I get into a taxi to rush back to his house. On the way I make a mental note to myself to get a bike for spring. I tell the taxi driver to let me out a few meters away from Niall house, quickly pay him and wait for him to drive off before I walk to the house. I take a deep breath once I'm in front of his door and unlock it with the key for emergencies, which has become my house-key over the last few days. "I'm home!" I exclaim as I enter. I put my bag down and see a little trail of white rose pedals. With a smile on my face, I follow it through to house until it leads me to the bedroom. A white box lies on the bed with a second smaller one on top of it and a card. I feel tears building up in me even though our date hasn't even started yet.