THIRTY EIGHT

Niall's POV

I'm sitting on a bar stool in front of the kitchen island, my things, papers and pictures of when I was younger, cover up the whole surface. My mum sent me a box filled with stuff that I made when I was still a kid with old pictures of me. Some drawings and a few pictures that include Olivia. She had rosy cheeks and darker hair than she has now. Her eyes are closed on every picture she smiled on. And if she wasn't smiling with closed eyes, she was looking at me. We used to be best friends. While Ethan and Greg would go off and do their own thing, Olivia and I would lay on the carpet in her old house and we would draw our dreams and things we want for the future. We would draw our families together and we would be in the middle of the drawing, holding hands. We weren't even ten, six or seven maybe, when we already knew that we wanted to marry one another.

I hear the front door open and close and feel a huge wave of panic coming over me. She's home. All the pictures and drawings are on the kitchen island and she's home. I quickly put everything into the box again and close it. "Olivia?!" I exclaim as I grab my crutches. She doesn't respond. I hobble out of the kitchen, to the hallway, seeing Olivia sitting on the floor, leaned against the door. Her hands are covering her face and she doesn't lift her head to look at me as I hobble over to her.

"Gorgeous?" I carefully say as I get closer to her. She lifts up her head and swallows. "What's wrong?" I ask and take another step closer. Olivia presses her lips together and quickly gets up, runs over to me and wraps her arms around me. I let my crutches go and they hit the ground as I put my arms around her. She snuggles into my chest and I bury my nose into her hair. I can feel her taking deep breaths as I rub her back with one of my hands. Olivia doesn't speak. She breathes in and out heavily, trying to calm herself down as I rub her back. I kiss her head again and tighten my arms around her. I want to ask again and find out why she's upset, but at the same time I know that she doesn't want to say anything at all right now. At least she's in my arms, I think. At least it isn't my fault this time, or else she wouldn't be standing here right now.

"My head is spinning." Olivia mumbles as she takes a step back. I put my hands on her shoulders and scan her face and body. She looks all fine and healthy, ignoring the red and tired eyes.

"Do you want some tea, gorgeous?" I ask, because that's what my mum always used to offer her when we were younger. A picture of me and her, sitting at a table with cups of tea in front of us, reminded me. Mum used to buy loads of tea, knowing how often Olivia would get headaches. And every time Olivia had one, mum would offer her tea. And every time mum asked what kind she wanted, she would tell her to surprise her. At the end, mum let me choose and Olivia was always happy with my choice.

She nods and I take her hand. I lead her into the kitchen and keep holding her hand until she's sitting on a bar stool. My eyes catch the sight of a picture that I've forgotten to put away and panic shoots up in me. I quickly snatch it off the island and put it into the cutlery drawer.

"What was that?" Olivia asks and looks at me with big eyes. Panic is filling my head.

"Just a bill." I smile and rush over to the coffee machine. "What kind of tea do you want?" I ask, trying to change the subject.

"If it's a bill, you shouldn't put into your cutlery drawer, should you?" She says and gets up, completely ignoring my question.

"It's-it's fine!" I say and block her way. She looks up at me with a questioning and confused look. I quickly kiss her forehead and put my hands on her shoulders again. I turn her around and lead her back to the bar stool, asking "So what tea do you want?"

"Surprise me." She says and takes a seat again. I can't help it but grin. 

Apple tea it is.

I give her a cup of tea and sit down on the bar stool next to her. She takes a sip of her very hot tea and turns around to look at me. Olivia places the cup down and I take her hands in mine. We don't talk. I look her into the eyes and let her think. She plays with her lips, biting the under lip and licking the upper as she thinks and thinks. I don't want to push her to say something and look at her patiently.