THIRTY SIX

Olivia's POV

My eyes shoot open and my spine straightens. I feel sweat pearls on my forehead and my heart racing. "Olivia?" Ally whispers and looks at me with her eyes wide open. I'm hyperventilating. "Breathe, Olivia, breathe." She says as she comes over to me. Luckily, no one except for us is around. We're at the very back, on the upset floor of the library. "What's wrong?" She asks and kneels down beside me. I shake my head no as I try to calm my breath. I breathe deeply in and out, over and over again, but my heart doesn't slow down.

"I have to go." I mumble and push my hair out of my face. "I-I need to call my mum."

"What happened, Olivia? What's wrong?" She asks but I shake my head no. I quickly pack my back and hug her goodbye.

"I'll explain later." I say and leave without waiting for a reply. I rush through the library and push open the big doors. The fresh February air hits my face as I walk to the main road. A taxi stops right in front of me and a guy comes out. I quickly get in and tell the driver the address to Niall's house. He nods and drives off.

"Miss, is everything all right?" He asks, seeing how heavy I'm breathing.

"Huh? Yes. Yes I'm okay. I'm just stressed and tired." I explain. He nods understanding and takes a turn to the right. My left leg is trembling up and down and my hands are sweating. I rub my palm against my jeans and ask myself what my plan is now. I just ran out of the library and I don't even have a plan. I know that I have to call my mum but what am I going to say? Mum, I have these weird dreams and I know now that I'm not sure if I knew Niall when I was younger or not, so could you please explain? I can't ask her that. I have to build up the conversation somehow. But how? She's going to change the subject like she always does. Either that, or she'll just leave and say she forgot something important. But isn't it more important that I forgot my whole childhood?

The taxi stops and I quickly pay the driver, before getting out of the car. I open the door next to the gate and close it after me before rushing to the front door of the house and opening that. Only when it's closed and I know that I'm alone, I lean against it and sink down onto the floor. My heart is still racing and my eyes are fixed on a spot in the wall. I don't think and just stare until my phone rings. I take it out of my bag and see that it's Niall.

"Niall?" I say into the phone and slowly get off the floor.

"Hey, gorgeous!" He sings into the phone. "Where are you?"

"I-I'm at home. I'm at home, Niall." I talk quickly, making him automatically notice that something is wrong.

"Are you okay? You sound panicky." He says as I sit down on the couch.

"I'm all right." I mumble and lay down. I put my hand on my heart and feel it slowing down.

"Are you sure? I can come home right this moment, if you want." He suggests and I can't help it but smile.

"You don't have to. Just-Just keep talking to me, please." I say, making him chuckle. He starts telling him about his day, making my heart calm down and my body relax. He joked about getting me a car so that I could stay longer in the morning with him without being late to my classes. I told him no, because I really don't like it when he spends money on me, and said that he can buy me a car when we're married. He laughed and promised that he'll come home with a solution. We ended the call with I love yous.

Niall's name disappears on my display and I stare out my home screen picture for a while as I decide whether I should call my mum now or later. (It's a picture of me and Niall that we took on our first unofficial cinema date back in Fall.) I press on the phone button, ready to call my mum and ask her about everything when suddenly she's the one who calls me. I pick up instantly. "Mum!"