Chapter VI

When he returned, he moved the parcels off the bed to the nearby table. He perched on the edge of the bed and pushed a stray hair behind Anders ear, briefly pausing to study the sharp features of his face. He stood and scooped up the mage who made a small squeak as Fenris lifted him into his arms and headed for the door. "Sweeping me off my feet now, are we?" Anders chuckled and wrapped his arms around Fenris' neck. Fenris shook his head and smiled affectionately before pushing through a doorway further down the hall.

Anders looked around and let out a small gasp, unlike the rest of the mansion, this room was tidy, everything in its place. Shadows cast by candle light and a grand fireplace danced across the walls, a large stone tub sat steaming, sending scents of lavender into the warm air. Fenris lowered his mage to his feet and Anders sucked in a breathe. He made quick work of his clothing and gently took Anders hand into his own, leading him towards the inviting tub.

The walls of the room were lined with sconces, intricately sculpted into little dragons, each holding a flickering candle. Fresh towels were slung neatly over the back of a chair to one side of the tub. He looked at Fenris and smiled, "And you didn't even need me to heat the water" he quipped. Chuckling softly and shaking his head, "It is of tevinter design, there are runes set in the stone. I believe Danarius had this room commissioned to his specifics" he replied.

He stepped in, settling into the heated water and tugged on Anders hand so he would join him. Sinking down into the tub, Anders let out a sigh of relief as the warm water surrounded his tired body and settled back against Fenris' chest. Lyrium lined fingers ran clever patterns over Anders chest and stomach, making his breathe hitch ever time those hands moved below his navel.

"Why are you doing this, Fen?" Anders asked quietly. There wasn't one time that he remember in his maker forsaken life, that anyone had cared enough to think to pamper him, do much of anything for him really. His elf hummed contentedly behind him and when he spoke it was warm and affectionate, "I told you mage, I enjoy giving you things. You spend your time caring for others, it is time someone cared for you." They went quiet for a time as Fenris cupped the warm water in his hands, letting it trickle down Anders shoulders.

Pushing Anders forward he reached for a bottle from the side of the tub. Cupping his mages neck in his hand, he maneuvered him until his head was lying back in his lap. Squeezing a small amount of soap into his hand he worked it into Anders too long unwashed hair, filling their senses with the aroma of mint and basil. He purred happily as Fenris massaged his scalp and tipped his head back to rinse the suds away.

"Why did you keep this room untouched?" Anders stared up at Fenris from his lap, eyes half closed as he absorbed the attention. Fenris chuckled and pulled Anders back to him, "It was the only room I saw need to keep. I was not permitted such luxuries, Danarius took pleasure in making me suffer and something such as this..." He trailed off and Anders twisted in his arms, pressing a kiss to his collarbone before catching his eye with an understanding look.

Fenris cupped his cheek, brow furrowing for a moment before he spoke, "I do not approve of you living in darktown." Anders eyes widened a touch and then turned playful, "And where would you have me live, Ser elf?" His tone was teasing when he said it, but the intensity of Fenris' gaze made him blush and avert his eyes. "Perhaps we could make this house into a home, build a life." There was a question amidst the hopeful look on Fenris' face, a need for affirmation.

Anders choked back a sob before meeting Fenris' eye again, "Home" he said wistfully. Anders wasn't sure he knew how to make a home, but he wanted to, maker did he want to. His features shifted into a look that more then conveyed how he felt in that moment. He wriggled closer to his elf, one hand gripping the back of his neck, he was sure if he let go this beautiful man would disappear from his world. "I would like that. Maker, what did I do to deserve you Fen?" He said as he nuzzled his face into Fenris' neck.

"You made me listen to your incessant babbling, until I finally had to shut you up" Fenris quipped, sending Anders into a fit of giggles. He reached for another bottle, poured a small amount onto a washcloth and ran it over Anders skin, adding the scent of cherry to their bath. He scrubbed every inch of Anders tired body, taking his time to kneed the now less stiff muscles his hands ran across.

Anders was all but purring again and Fenris couldn't hide his amusement. "What?" Anders asked, eyes wide and suspicious as he playfully poked a finger at his elfs ribs. Fenris squirmed and chuckled, "I was under the impression you were a man, mage. It appears however, that you may be a cat." Anders scrunched up his nose and pouted at him, "I like cats" he grumbled, "It would seem that I do as well" Fenris teased. Anders stuck his tongue out and crossed his arms over his chest in mock anger pulling another chuckle from his elf.

They turned in the tub so that Fenris was leaning into Anders and he proceeded to wash his elf with great enthusiasm. The thought that Fenris probably had never experienced these types of kindness either came to mind, but he shoved it aside. It hurt to think that way, but if Fenris meant it and they could build a life together, then maybe what came before didn't need to matter so much anymore. He placed a kiss behind his elfs ear once he had finished and placed the washcloth on the side of the tub. They stayed there in companionable silence until their skinned was pruned, only then exiting the tub and making their way back to the bedroom.