Chapter XXVI

The clinic was nearly full when they arrived, this time there had been a cave in at Hawke's mine. Anders was busily pouring magic into his patients, only suffering from minor wounds. "Anders, we've brought lunch." Iri called through the crowd. "Oh, well thank you, but I'm not sure when I'll have a moment." he responded. "Well I could..." she stopped mid sentence as she felt a wave of magic from Fenris wash over the crowd. A surprised murmur rippled through the room from the patients, healing, but not yet seen by the healer. Anders let his hands fall and stopped drawing from the fade. "Well, I guess you can all go home now, or wherever it is your headed." he followed his words with a shrug before moving to stand next to Fenris and Iri.

"I'm not sure I'll ever get used to that, Fen. I have to say, the two of you make me feel, somewhat inferior." he teased as he leaned down to kiss Fenris hello. He turned to Iri as she held out the food like an offering, her bright smile made him grin and he trailed a soft finger down the side of her cheek. "Why are you so good to me?" he asked, looking between the two elves. "This whole thing wouldn't work very well, if we weren't." she quipped, amusement dancing across her face. He smiled warmly at her, "What are we having?" he wondered aloud as he poked his nose into the bag. "Nug stew. Fenris mentioned you liked it and I am curious to try it." she answered. The smell rising up from the bag made her mouth water, breakfast had been on the small side, she was looking forward to this.

Fenris chuckled at Anders as his eyebrows reached for his hairline, "You've never had nug stew? Oh, your in for a treat!" he said excitedly, motion for them to sit. The clinic had emptied fairly quickly and the enjoyed their meal, chatting about the mornings activities. Turns out Fenris had quite the flare for story telling and had apparently been keeping closer to Iri then she'd thought, given the details he provided. "You make me sound like a force to be reckoned with." Iri laughed, shaking her head at his embellishments. "You are a force to be reckoned with!" Anders exclaimed, staring at her like she held the stars, in her very hands.

They were just finishing their meal when a few late arrivals from the mine strolled in. Again, they had minor abrasions, nothing Anders couldn't easily handle. He excused himself and went to tend to his patients. "Would you accompany me to Merrill's, ma'fen?" Iri asked softly. The question struck him, he hadn't put much thought into such things as Merrill, he'd been focused on cataloging his memories. Before Iri arrived, the obvious answer to her question, would have been no. He'd despised Merrill for her use of blood magic and the way she consorted with demons, no regard for what could come of it. But now, he understood that blood magic was simply that, a form of magic. It was no more harmful then any other magic, when used correctly and he felt a pang of guilt knowing that he had been hypocritical.

"Emma lath?" Iri interrupted his thoughts. He blinked at her, the corners of his mouth turning downwards. "What is it?" she asked. He cleared his throat and drummed his fingers on the table, "It is nothing, Vhenan. Of course, I will accompany you." An irritated snort left her as she stared at him intensely. "This is not how we do things, my love. If you will not be honest with me, then I rescind my invitation." Her tone was harsh, more so then she'd meant it to be, but there was no room for unsaid words where Fenris was concerned. He stood quickly, drawing looks from Anders' patients as the chair scrapped across the floor, wobbling slightly.

"Ir abelas, Vhenan." he breathed, reaching for her hand. He lifted her chin with a gently finger and met her eye. "I....am ashamed. I behaved, very poorly towards Merrill. I took her for an ignorant child, simply because she is a blood mage. With my memories restored...." His sentence didn't need finishing, Iri understood and it showed in the way her features softened. "You must make amends, ma'fen, that is the way of the road to redemption, you know this." A long sigh left him, she was right, but he was not sure he deserved redemption after the way he'd treated Merrill. He'd never so much as given her an opportunity to help him understand, no, he'd simply been cruel because he didn't agree. He nodded weakly, waving to Anders as they set off for the alienage. "See you later, Anders!" Iri called over her shoulder, his lips tugging upwards as he watched them go.