Chapter XXV

Iri made it back to the estate without incident and quietly pushed through the door. Making her way to her chambers, she was surprised to find Fenris and Anders nestled in her bed. Anders was curled around Fenris with his head on his shoulder, sleeping soundly. She smiled at them as she tiptoed to the bath chamber to ready for sleep and found Fenris awake when she crawled into bed. He smiled affectionately at her as she pressed against his other side and placed a soft kiss to his lips. Her hand settled on top of Anders' in the middle of Fenris' chest and he made a contented sound. Within minutes she had drifted off, wrapped in the warmth and comfort of the bodies next to her.

A mere few hours later, she gently unwrapped herself from Fenris' arm and slid out of the bed. She had a quick bath and prepared herself for the day before slipping out of the room and quietly down the stairs. Grabbing an apple and a honey roll from the kitchen, she made her way out the door, just as the sun breached the city. She didn't rush, there was time and she ate as she went, Hawke's wasn't far.

Lifting her hand to knock on his door, it opened before her knuckles made contact. Hawke was looking worse for the wear, dark circles shadowing his eyes. "Morning, come on in." he attempted cheery, but his tone was laced with worry. "Do not fret Hawke, all will be well by midday. And by the way, you look like shit." she teased. A goofy grin crossed his face, "Gee, thanks." he said softly while motioning for her to follow him into the main room.

"You mentioned the white lily killer, and then you mentioned my mother. I've been up all night worried sick, I've already checked on mom a few dozen times. So please, just tell me what this is about." Hawke blurted before they'd even sat down. Iri sat next to him on a lavish leather sofa, one leg bent with her foot tucked under the other, so she could face him as they spoke. She smiled and gave his hand a reassuring squeeze, "I have reason to believe, that a bouquet of white lilies will be delivered to your mother today. When she wakes, you should ask her of her suitor." she replied calmly.

What felt like an eternity to Hawke, passed by as he processed what had been said. "Fuck!" he mumbled, face and shoulders sagging downward. It was quite the picture to see Grayer Hawke looking defeated, something she'd not seen before and really, it didn't fit. He turned a questioning look on her when she started to giggle, "And what, may I ask, is so funny?" he grumbled. "Come on Champion, do you give up so easily?" she teased, poking at his shin with her toes. It occurred to him that Iri seemed unnaturally at ease with him, for a woman he'd barely just met. And if he really thought about it, she seemed to have a personal interest in Varric as well as Merrill, not to mention, Fenris and Anders.

He knew for certain they'd never met, she was not a woman any sane man could forget. And the more he thought the more puzzled he became, his features settling between curious and thoughtful. "Ah, there he is." Iri commented as she watched, he'd straightened up and was eyeing her for answers. "How do you know about any of this? As far as I know, you've spent all your time with Anders and the broody death elf." Iri snorted at that, "The broody death elf? I suppose the death elf part is accurate, he is quite deadly, but not so much broody. Perhaps you know a very different man then I, but we are getting side tracked, so let us refocus."

"Iri, please. What the fuck is going on? How could you possibly have knowledge of today's events?" He'd begun to fidget, pulling at the edges of his robes and Iri reached out to clam his hands. "I have knowledge of many things, Hawke, most of which I would rather not." she replied calmly. "That's not an answer! This is my mothers life we're talking about, there is no time for this shit!" he spat, quickly growing irritated as Iri grew more amused, a smirk tugging at her lips. Of course she could just tell it to him straight, but Iri marched to the beat of her own drum. Everything was always round about, half answers, laced with bits of the truth. Honestly, she only did it because she still found human emotion interesting, even though she'd spent years feeling them, she seemed to have a better grasp over their control.