Chapter XXIV

Fenris held the door open for Iri and Anders and the three of them made their way to the bar. Corff took one look at the trio and raised his hands in the air. "Oh no, not you! I don't want any more trouble, I still can't get the blood stains off the floor!" he gripped. "There were blood stains on the floor long before we arrived." Anders said flatly as Iri tried to stifle her snicker. "We're just here to play cards Corff, no bloodshed today." Fenris added. Corff eyed them suspiciously for a moment before sliding Fenris a bottle of whiskey, his usual order. Anders grabbed the glasses and Iri flicked a sovereign to Corff with a wink, pulling a grin from the dwarf, before heading up the stairs to Varric's suite.

Upon entering, they saw that everyone had arrived and the attention of the table turned towards them. Hawke nearly tripped over his chair trying to get up to greet Iri. "Good evening, my lady. So lovely of you to join us." he said, smiling like a smitten teenager as her rushed over to kiss her hand. Fenris snorted and Anders outright laughed at the ridiculous display. "You know Hawke, Iri knows your not a gentleman." Anders teased, earning him a steely glare. "Nonsense Anders, Hawke is very sweet." Iri added with a beaming smile, pulling a giddy giggle from Hawke.

Iri took the seat next to Varric, flashing him a grin as she settled in and tucked her pack between her feet. Fenris circled around the back of her chair and pulled the cork from the bottle with his teeth, pouring a glass and passing it to her. His hand lingered for a moment when her fingers brushed his and she smiled affectionately, dipping her head in thanks. Varric's eyebrows raised slightly as he observed their interaction, the dwarf never missed a beat, old habits formed of necessity. Anders had sat next to Aveline and Fenris took the seat next to him.

"So, introductions." Varric remarked. "Going around the table, excluding the ones you know of course. Aveline, Donnic, Isabela, meet Iri." Isabela stood, moving to squeeze herself between Iri and Donnic. "Well aren't you a pretty little thing." Isabela drawled, fingers reaching to twirl a braid. "Mmm, aren't I." she responded playfully, a smirk tugging at one corner of her lips. Isabela's face lit with mischief, "Ooo, I like you. Your a feisty little minx, aren't you." Iri snorted, snatching the cards from Varric with a wink.

"So, how do you know Fenris, Iri?" Merrill blurted out, rather loudly. "Daisy." Varric groaned. "What? Oh! Oh no, I said something wrong. Did I say something wrong?" There was an instant that presented the opportunity for an awkward silence, before Iri started to deal. "We have been very close, for a great many years." Iri replied warmly. "And no, you didn't say anything wrong Merrill." she added. "Ir abelas." Merrill said softly, fidgeting with her cards. "Tel'abelas." Iri replied, amusement crossing her face at Merrill's wide eyes. "You speak elven?" her tone was excited. "Just a little." she responded, this time Fenris snorted, shaking his head fondly.

"Don't all elves speak elven?" Donnic wondered, earning him an elbow to the ribs from Aveline. "What?" he whined. "Know many elves do you, Donnic?" Hawke teased and Isabela cackled. Donnic pursed his lips and went back to his cards. "Are we playing, or what?" he grumbled. "Three coppers." Varric said as his coins clinked into the centre of the table. They all saw his bet, "See your three coppers and raise you two silvers." Iri said, downing her drink and sliding her glass down the table for Fenris to refill. They continued to go around the table until Aveline pulled the angel of death, ending the round. Iri let the others lay their cards first, "Ha! I'd say I'm the winner." Varric boasted, a sly smile tugging at Iri's lips. "Perhaps nugs may fly today, as well, Varric." Fenris drawled, smirking at Iri, beating her was next to impossible.

Iri laid her cards on the table, four angels and a knight, an easy win. A groan swept across the table, "Dread wolf take you! I never win." Merrill grumbled, a surprised look crossing her face as Fenris and Iri began to chuckle. "Oh, not again! What did I miss now?" she looked to Isabela. "Don't look at me kitten." she replied with a shrug. "Well? Don't keep us in suspense." Aveline piped up. "Yeah. What the shit, is so funny?" Hawke added.