Chapter XV

Iri opened her eyes to the sunlight pouring in through the 'well loved' drapes and groaned before pulling a pillow over her head. Today would be a day spent on edge, waiting for the inevitable attack she knew awaited them. Sitting up she rubbed at her eyes with the heels of her palms and groaned again as she stretched. Climbing out of bed, she quickly washed up, dressed and grabbed her things. Heading downstairs she found her companions sitting at a table near the door. "My apologizes, I slept longer then intended." She said cheerfully, drawing their attention to her. Felix looked up only to flush and avert his eyes back to the table, Levia snickered knowingly before reaching out and patting the back of Felix's hand.

Iri grinned and walked to the bar to order some things for the road, a few moments later, she returned. "Are we ready to finish our journey?" she asked, scanning her companions faces, except for Felix, he was face down in his arms on the table, grumbling about something and his mother. She shook her head and chuckled at him before catching Alexius' eye. "I think we can be on our way. We are about a half days ride from home, I will be glad to arrive." he replied. She nodded in agreement and the three of them stood and followed her to retrieve the horses.

The pace was slow and steady, with only a half day left to their journey, there was no need to rush. After about an hour, Iri complained about the state of her posterior and hopped down from Las' back. "I think I'll walk for a while and give my backside a break." She said when Alexius sent her a curious glance. He chuckled at her and nodded in understanding. "The long days are rather hard on the body aren't they." He said, "mmm hmmm." she replied. She'd been walking for a short while when Felix hopped out of the carriage and fell into stride beside her.

"Tell me a story?" he asked cheerfully. "A story? I'm not much of a story teller. What kind of story were you hoping to hear?" She replied. "Well, I don't know. Where are you from?" She took a moment to answer and Felix gently nudged her with his elbow, earning him a bright smile. "You can probably assume, that originally, I'm from Tevinter, but most recently, I've been in the Frostback Mountains." He grunted and said, "The Frostback Mountains? A fan of the cold, are you?"

"No! Not at all, but life leads us where we are meant to go, I suppose." He nodded in acceptance and continued, "What made you leave Tevinter?" Silence spanned for a long moment before she answered. "I was running, I'd been taken as a slave." She held out her arm and traced a lyrium line with her finger. "These brands, a gift from my master, the process stripped my memories. When I was released, I didn't know myself, where I was from, where I could go, so I ran out of fear of being recaptured. Tevinter is a living nightmare for an elf, I just needed to be anywhere else. I ended up in Ferelden for a time, after that." She paused momentarily, "That was before everything went to shit."

Felix's features twisted into a scowl and the color drained from his face, "A...slave? "Oh Iri, I'm so sorry! How did you come to be free?" Iri eyes went distant as she relived the memory in her mind, "I was bargained for, by a great warrior. He fought duel after duel for my freedom, I didn't understand at the time, why he would take my place. It was years before I was able to regain my memories. I understand now, but I also know that he would likely not know me." Her smile was sad and it tugged at his heart, he reached out and took her hand, squeezing it gently. She accepted the comfort of the gesture and leaned her head on his shoulder for a moment.

"He must have loved you very much, to fight for your freedom." Felix said, tone low and soft. "He did, but time has a way of changing things." She laughed at the irony of that statement. "Perhaps not, you said he took your place. Would he not still be a slave? You could look for him, we're so close to Tevinter." Felix replied. "He's been escaped for over ten years now, a free man living in Kirkwall." A look of surprise crossed his face, "Why have you not gone to him? You know where he is." he said. "That is true, but I only regained my memories two years ago and there is always something pressing to be done when one sits in a seat of power. The time will come, I will require his help if I am to succeed in my journey, but I am not sure he will so willingly lend his hand this time."