Chapter IX

The previous day had been a busy one at the clinic, but he'd been greeted by his elf when he was done, making the days stress fade with a smile that reached his eyes. Fenris had taken his hand as they headed back towards hightown in companionable silence. His elf had a steaming tub ready for him and a hot meal to fill his belly. He'd fallen asleep in Fenris' arms with a hand running soothing fingers through his hair. Maker what had he done to deserve this gorgeous elf.

Anders woke to the rising sun peaking through the partially covered window curled into Fenris' side, the smell of cherry still lingering on his skin. He slipped out of bed and padded softly across the room, pushing open the window to the warm summer air. He breathed deeply and glanced over his shoulder, just a reassurance that his elf was still there.

Sighing he made to grab his freshly laundered robes that Fenris had sent out yesterday afternoon and had arrived back the evening before. "Come back to bed, mage", Fenris mumbled from where he had buried his face in the pillows. Anders smiled and sat on the edge of the bed, affectionately he ran his fingers through Fenris' hair, "I have to go to the clinic" he replied. Fenris growled and rolled over to face his mage, "forever tending to others needs" he said.

Anders flicked him playfully in the forehead before leaning down to press their lips together. He sat back and shrugged, "I'm a healer, it's what I do", Fenris snorted and replied, "yes, I suppose it is." Siting up his feet made a soft thud when they hit the floor. Gathering his cloths from the pile Anders had found his robes in, he pulled on his leggings and tied the laces. Anders grinned at the lack of smalls as he watched his elf pull his tunic down over the defined plains of his stomach.

Fenris caught the look and smirked, "you know smalls are entirely optional. I find the lack of, makes for easier access." Anders pouted and Fenris chuckled, "it gets cold here and I need to protect my finer assets" his mage whined. Fenris affectionately traced his thumb over Anders lips before chasing them with a kiss.

"I will accompany you, we will stop at the market on the way to ensure that you are fed." He reached out and fastened Anders buckles, smoothing his hands over the fabric before letting one slide down his arm. Taking his hand he gave a gentle tug and led him towards the exit. Anders obliged, allowing hiself to be guided through the house staring at Fenris' back doe eyed. Maker, this was going to take some getting used to. He squeezed his elfs hand and Fenris smiled at him as they headed for the market before setting out for darktown.

Fenris was back before Anders had even finished for the day, content to sit to the side watching his mage work. When he had finished Fenris helped him clean up and sent the linens out to be laundered. These little things meant so much to him, just the fact that his linens would be clean in the morning and he hadn't had to spend two hours scrubbing them. The little things Anders decided, those were the things that made life worth living.

They made their way back to Fenris' mansion, well, their mansion now Anders supposed and the thought brought a smile to his lips. The next days passed by in much the same manner, Fenris making sure his mages needs were taken care of. Their evenings were spent taking pleasures in one another or simply wrapping themselves into a pile of flesh, taking silent comfort in one warm body pressed to another. And so came Friday, wicked grace night.

Anders had been a bundle of nerves all day at the thought of their first encounter with their friends since becoming an item. They arrived together, Fenris gave Anders an encouraging smile and herded him towards Varric's suite before he could turn and bolt. "Ah, blondie, broody, so kind of you to join us. I was beginning to think you two had left our little entourage. Where have you been hiding anyway?" Varric teased. Anders flushed and his eyes darted to his feet as Fenris spoke, "I realize that you are a very charming dwarf Varric, but despite what you may think, there are sometimes better things to do aside from grace ourselves with your presence."