Chapter LIII

The arrived just before midday, Fenris leading the way with Anaris and Anders close behind, a shocked murmur filling the empty room as they entered. They looked around, pointing and chattering amongst themselves, astounded by the architecture she'd created. After a moment, Fenris joined her, whistling to draw their attention to his heart before wrapping his arm around her waist. "As you can see, I have begun to restore Arlathan. I have called you all here so that we may complete this feat together. I would allow you time to explore and eat before we begin, just watch your step, lest you fall to your death." she addressed them, a smirk tugging at her lips as curiosity painted their features and they began to venture outside.

The majority of the room had emptied, save Fenris, Anders and Anaris, joined by Hawke, Bethany and Dorian. Bethany approached, excitement clear on her face, "Oh Iri, this is extraordinary, I've never seen anything so lovely!" she exclaimed, taking Iri's hand in her own, squeezing it gently. "Then you must see more, go explore, enjoy yourself." Iri encouraged, smiling warmly at her as she nodded and bounced off to see the rest of what the palace held. "She's right Iri, this is pretty fucking amazing!" Hawke agreed, craning his neck back and turning where he stood inside the empty pool. "I'm not sure how helpful we will be, I've never imagined anything like this and I definitely can't imagine creating it." he continued, coming to stand with the others.

"That is alright, I do not require your skill, simply your power. This is a task that I intend to perfect, therefore, none but myself and Anaris with actually be doing the constructing. I have called upon the well in order to replicate the details and Anaris has spent much time here, even more so than Fen'Harel himself." she replied, taking a seat at the edge of the pool. "Alright then, I think I can handle that." he decided, "I'm going to catch up with Bethany, anyone want to join?" he added, his invitation directed at Anders though he looked to all of them in an attempt to be less obvious. "This I have to see!" Dorian chirped, moving to join Hawke as he looked expectantly to Anders. "I'll try to catch up." he promised as the others politely declined.

When Fenris sat beside her, she snatched his pack playfully, rooting through it in search of substance, "I'm starving!" she said, pulling out a bag that contained honey rolls. The others joined them, retrieving food from their own packs, sitting in quiet companionship until they'd finished. "Vhenan, may I ask you a question." Fenris inquired, looking to her and catching her eye. "Of course, ma'fen, you may always ask." she replied cheekily, indicating that she may choose not to answer. "Before you left....in the garden...." he started, pausing when her expression changed, "Ir Abelas, ma'fen, I can not answer that. It would change everything if I did and the repercussions would be catastrophic." she explained, though it did not lessen the guilt she felt at denying him an answer.

"I told you she was off." Anaris grumbled, disappointed that he had been right, but unsurprised, none the less. "What are we talking about?" Anders wondered, a puzzled look painting his features. "Anaris witnessed me casting a spell in the garden, it is a path I'd have preferred to avoid, like so many others." she responded sadly, pulling a blade from her belt and spinning it in her fingers. The others began to slowly pour back into the room, abruptly bringing their conversation to an end. She stood, turning to face them as the men rose with her, "Let us venture back outside and begin our work, it will take some time and I would prefer not to delay." she requested of them, following with her companions as she sheathed her blade.

"You didn't catch up." Hawke commented, bumping Anders shoulder with his own as they gathered outside the palace, a soft flush splashing Anders cheeks. Iri and Anaris moved to the edge of the suspended platform, standing with their backs to the mages. "Focus past them, let them draw from your will." Fenris instructed, turning to lead the action, allowing his magic to flow to them. Iri reached for Anaris' hand, lacing her fingers through his as she looked to him and smiled, waiting for the power to build. As she looked forward once more, they began their work, clear walkways leading away from the palace, connecting to other foundations that would be built upon. They mapped out the majority of Arlathan, stopping when the supply of magic became depleted and they required rest.