Chapter XXI

Back at the estate, Iri had Anders crushing fresh herbs and Fenris mixing dough while she spiced the ram roast. She threw potatoes and heirloom carrots in around the roast and scattered the herbs on top, before covering it and putting it in the oven to cook. She then broke the dough apart and braided it into a symmetrical loaf, setting it to the side to rise. Turning back to the two men, she again found them grinning at her. She huffed, shaking her head before going off to the bar in the other room, returning shortly with the whiskey and three glasses.

She set them down on the island and slide them towards Fenris, gesturing for him to pour. They didn't see where the cards came from, but they both agreed when she asked them to play. "Iri?" Anders caught her eye when he spoke. "Hmm?" she replied, looking back to her cards and rearranging them. His silence drew her attention back to him and she placed her cards face down on the island. "What you said before, about the city falling into war, what did you mean?" he asked, eyes not leaving her face. The smile left her lips, followed by a long sigh.

She looked to Fenris and he smiled knowingly and nodded. "This city is plagued by great corruption, an entity resides here." She paused to collect her thoughts for a moment and sighed again before continuing. "Did you know that Kirwall was once called Emerius?" She asked. Anders shook his head, "I've only know this city as Kirkwall." he replied. "It has been Kirkwall since -25 Ancient, there are likely few who know of it as Emerius." she reached for her drink and emptied its contents, Fenris refilled it.

She took a another moment, still trying to gather her thoughts, drumming her fingers on the countertop. "The Tevinter Imperium, -692 Ancient, the Archon Almadrius was assassinated and his apprentice Tidarion inherited the throne. The imperium broke into civil war as the Magisters maneuvered for power. Tidarion died without an heir in -640 Ancient and the civil war intensified with the throne empty. In -620 Archon Parthenius claimed the throne and put an end to the nearly century long fighting. Emerius Krayvan, a powerful magister, ventured south and founded Emerius. Unbeknownst to most, he worked in conjunction with the Magisters Sidereal, the seven high priests of the Old Gods, in the design of the city.

They brought in elven slaves by the thousands to work in stone quarries, building the city at the cost of their lives. The city quickly gained a dark and bloody reputation, earning itself the name of The City Of Chains. At its height it had over one million slaves living and working in the city, when they were no longer useful in the quarries, they were sent to await slaughter. Though the Magisters fought amongst themselves in an attempt to govern, Emerius was built for one reason, and one reason alone. An unorthodox blood ritual." Iri rested her elbows on the island and put her face in her hands, a heavy sigh leaving her.

Reaching for her drink with one hand, Fenris took the other in his own. "It was Lothieriel who made the decision to end it. The Imperium had been pushed back, but the armies that surrounded the city, were held back and diminished by its guard, The Black Cadre." Fenris cleared his throat raising his glass in a long drink, a slight furrow in his brow. "Your saying, Iri freed this city from the Imperium?" Anders turned his wide eyes on Iri and Justice purred. Iri couldn't help but scoff, this part of history had left scars that would never heal.

"She led the rebellion." Fenris clarified. "YES, DEVOTION WAS THEIR SAVIOUR AND THE CITY WAS BORN AGAIN WITH JUSTICE!" Justice boomed to Anders, that strange affectionate tone coming through again. Anders face twisted in confusion, "What are you going on about Justice?" Iri snorted bitterly, shaking her head. "It was genocide, I could stand idle, no longer!" Fenris' thumb moved to trace soothing circle to the back of her hand, and she closed her eyes, trying to calm herself.

"We were forbid from meddling in the affairs of humans. The order came from Fen'Harel, himself." Fenris remarked. "For nearly six hundred years we stood by, inactive, watching our people suffer. Suddenly they started killing none stop, the death toll quickly rising as they weaved their blood magic." Iri spat, a disgruntled noise leaving her. "And so we did nothing, for another three hundred and seventy years, we did nothing! When the killing started again, I disobeyed and took matters into my own hands, the massacre of elves, is no human affair!" She paused, taking another drink, followed by a deep breath. "We were not swift enough in our actions to stop the entire ritual, but the preservation of life was profound. Furthermore we possessed the power to contain the corruption, enabling the city to remain." She went quiet for a moment before emptying her glass again, this time Anders refilled it.