Chapter XLIX

His eyes played over her companions, all of which had gathered at her back, intrigued by the diversity she'd collected amongst her allies. His gaze settled on Abelas who was glaring daggers at him, able to sense Mythal's essence within in. "Murderer!" he spat, unable to contain the anger that surged forward. "Calm yourself, Abelas, murder is simply a matter of perception, you know as well as I, that Mythal gave herself willingly to my cause." he responded in a condescending tone, pulling a pained sound from the elf. Iri placed a soft hand on his shoulder, "Now is not the time, Abelas." she comforted softly, relieved when he nodded and stepped back.

"Come, my chambers will offer more privacy, we may speak more of your concerns." she spoke to Fen'Harel, turning on her heel, expecting him to follow. Justice stepped in his path, causing him to come to a halt, "Tread lightly, Dread Wolf, if you hurt her, I will not hesitate to strike you down." he threatened, distaste clear in his tone. Fen'Harel chuckled, patting him on the head like a child, "You are welcome to try, my boy." he responded as Justice swatted at his hand, a smirk coming to Iri's lips, "I will be fine, da'len, do not worry yourself." she assured him, continuing on her way, shooting Fenris a wink on the way by.

"Who was that boy, Vhenan?" Fen'Harel's tone had softened as his anger faded, the effects of being in Iri's calming presence. "That is Justice." she replied simply, earning a raised eyebrow as he fell into stride beside her. "He is yours then?" he asked, causing her to glance sidelong at him with narrowed eyes. "Justice does not belong to anyone. Yes, he was born of me, but I do not own him, you would do well to recognize that." she snapped, harsher than intended, but she resented the implication. He was taken aback for a moment, going silent as he followed her through the door to the chambers he once called his own.

He paused when they entered, scanning the room, eyes dancing over the many books and artifacts that lined the shelves covering the stone walls. He took note of the box that set on her desk, moving to approach it, his curiousity getting the best of him, it was obvious it held a weapon. He flinched slightly as his fingers reached the lid and her hand slammed down atop the box, "That, is not for you." she stated coldly, lifting the box and placing it inside her wardrobe. "Ir abelas, Vhenan." he said softly, suppressing the desire to question her further as to its contents.

She retrieved a clean glass and a fresh bottle of whiskey from her desk, scooping her own from the table where she'd left it. She took a seat, nodding to indicate he should do the same and he obliged as she handed him a drink. "You have come for a reason." she stated, taking a mouthful of the liquid, letting it linger before she swallowed, warming her chest as it made its way to her stomach. "Do you truly intend to play coy, Lotheriel? You know full well what has brought me here." he replied, taking a drink of his own, humming in approval at her choice of liquor. "As though there is only one possibility." she replied, amusement painting her features.

"Alright. Why allow me access if you were only going to rescind your gift?" he asked, as good a place to start as any. She smirked, her eyes turning mischievous as she raised her glass to her lips again. "A careless mistake on my part, I will be less so in the future." she responded. He chuckled, his face lighting with warmth, "Is that so? I find it difficult to imagine any of this is due to carelessness on your part, emma sa'lath." he responded, closing the space between them as he slide down the chesterfield. "Will you not see reason, Vhenan?" he asked, his longing for her showing itself. "Will you not?" she countered, taking another sip from her glass. "Besides, what good would it do us now, you have already taken Mythal within you. I'd have thought this would be a discussion you'd have wanted to have prior to that action. Alas, it was not, and so here we are." she added, watching the hurt blossom on his features.

"You see much, Vhenan." was all he replied, sadness flooding him at the thought of Mythal. She reached for his hand out of instinct, an action she preformed without thinking and he acted on it, pulling her to him and finding her lips. She returned his kiss for a brief moment before pulling away from him, "I am not an object that you may ravage whenever you desire!" she snapped, pushing herself to her feet. "I...I.....of course not! I did not mean..." he stammered, shaking his head at his own stupidity. "You may not have it both ways and you have chosen the path that I will not walk, my maker. It is time you stop lying to yourself, you did not chose me then, and you will not chose me now." she spat, her words nearly crushing his heart.