Chapter VIII

Anders was sound asleep, in a large, reasonably comfortable bed, buried under several very warm blankets. He had been pampered, fed and fucked silly for the past day and a half and that was just fine with him. Fine, quite fine indeed, until his blissful sleep was suddenly interrupted by an impossibly loud pounding at the door. He sat up with a start, blinking eyes that were struggling to focus in their groggy state. Fenris was fully dressed and standing beside the bed, sword in hand. "Stay here, Amatus." He rumbled before quickly heading for the door that was enduring its second pounding.

Just reaching for the doorknob a third pounding commenced, causing Fenris to jump and snatch his hand back. "Venhedis!" He spat under his breathe, brow furrowing with irritation. "For fuck sakes, open the maker forsaken door, Fenris!" The elf immediately relaxed at the sound of Hawke's voice and he slung his sword over his shoulder and pulled open the door. Hawke nearly plowed his over as he surged through the door, like a large ball of fury and stalked into the foyer.

Fenris padded along after him, eyebrows sitting a little higher on his forehead. "You appear to be upset, Hawke." "Upset! Upset is an understatement Fenris! Anders is missing!! Do you hear me, he's missing! What if the Templars got him? What if I'm next? What if your next? I have few precious friends Fenris!" Hawke waved his arms wildly as he paced, threatening to wear a path in the floor. The man had worked himself into complete hysterics and it was wrong, he knew it was wrong, but Fenris was very much amused by this little display unfolding before him.

"Are you going to help me? We need to get out there and look for him. We need to figure out what happened!" When Fenris still said nothing, Hawke stopped pacing and turned to the elf with a look of agitation, to see him...smirking? "Are you really fucking smirking at me right now, Fenris? Do you think this is funny? I swear to the maker, if you say anything about abominations, or even mages in general, I will punch you in the fucking face!" And that was about all the self control that Fenris could muster in this particular moment in time.

His eyes darted up to the balcony and back to Hawke, he burst into a roaring laughter that brought tears streaming down his face. Hawke stared at him confused for a moment, before realizing there was a second voice in that laughter. He turned and looked up to see Anders cackling away right along with Fenris, once again draped in his most fashionable bed linens. Fenris choked and sputtered as he struggled to quiet the laughter that was now making his sides ache. "As you can see, Anders is fine and the only one who has taken him is me."

Hawke looked back and forth between the mage and the elf, with disbelief in his eyes, tongue trying to remember how to produce words. Fenris reached out with one finger to his chin and pushed his mouth closed, rolling his eyes before peaking back up at Anders. "Um...I'll just get dressed, be right back" he said as he disappeared from view.

"What the actual fuck, Fenris? I thought you two hated each other? Shit, I thought you hated everyone, except for me, and maybe Varric. What was with all that abomination stuff, if meanwhile you two were bumping uglies? We're your friends, you don't have to lie to us!" Fenris reached out a hand and clapped in down on Hawke's shoulder. "First, I believe you need to breathe, I have heard it is unhealthy to become so agitated. Second, we did not lie to anyone, this is a new development, one that we were not necessarily expecting."

"Not necessarily expecting, you can say that again! But it has turned out to be a very enjoyable experience. One I am looking forward to experiencing again." Anders chimed in, with a sly look to Fenris as he came down the stairs. Anders didn't really mind that Hawke had found out about this. He was a good friend, Anders best friend really, except now maybe Fenris could fill that spot. He trusted him with his life and Hawke respected his privacy and Fenris' just the same as they did his. Not like Isabela, the woman was nearly an interrogator and a ruthless gossiper.

Hawke caught Anders eye and one brow arched upwards, "Wow, Anders, I don't think I've ever seen you look so rested!" His tone bewildered. Anders blushed and bumped his shoulder against Fenris', "My gorgeous elf has been spoiling me" he said quietly. Fenris growled in response and Hawke wrinkled his nose, "Ew, you two are gross. And I find it hard to believe that this is a new development if you are already that gross."

Anders stepped forward, placed one hand on each of Hawke's shoulders and made eye contact with his friend. "I'm sorry Hawke, I didn't mean to worry you, but we were not lying to you. This was the last thing, I think either of us had stored away as our evil master plan." He grinned cheekily at Hawke and made eyes like a puppy who'd pissed on the floor and was now begging for forgiveness. "Fine." Hawke grumbled, "just next time tell someone, or at the very least, leave a note! Maker Anders, you almost gave me a bloody heart attack!" Anders tilted his head to the side in a bird like motion, "well I hope that's not Fen's kind of bloody heart attack!" He quipped. Hawke looked at him shocked for a moment before the three friends burst into laughter.

"Alright you crazy kids, mother hen will get out of your hair, try not to do anything I wouldn't do." Hawke gave them a wink and headed for the door. "By the way, I'm heading up the coast again in a few days. There's some slavers that need clearing out, you two in? I could use a good sword and a healer." Fenris and Anders nodded in agreement and Hawke turned to leave, pulling the door closed, he pressed his back to it and shook his head before pushing off and making his way to the hanged man. He needed a drink, or ten, if this was possible, next thing he knew it would be raining nugs.

Fenris and Anders were still in the foyer, cackling like mad men. Finally gaining some composure, Fenris cleared his throat and snagged Anders around the waist, pressing his body to his. A surprised gasp escaped Anders lips and Fenris swallowed it with his mouth as he kissed his mage with enthusiasm. He left his mouth and kissed and nipped at his jaw line, causing his head to tip back and a groan to pass his lips. "I...I really should go to the clinic Fen, I need to see to my patients." He stuttered between delicious sounds of passion.

Fenris growled again, this time only half growl, half a sound of protest. Anders cupped his jaw in his hand and pressed his lips to his forehead. "Will I see you later?" Fenris asked. "Of course, no one else in Kirkwall has your particular set of skills, where else would I be?" He replied in a teasing tone. "Then I shall look forward to later", the wicked smile that tugged at his lips sent a shiver through his mages entire body. He hummed in response, pressing another lingering kiss to Anders lips. He pulled back and smiled before he all but skipped out the door.

Mages, he thought, perhaps he was out of his bloody mind, but the thought of wrapping himself in his mages body, made warm heat pool at his spine. He was sure this could go wrong at a moments notice, but that was a thought he would not pollute his mind with. For the first time in his life, that he could remember, he had a chance at happiness. And that was something he was sure he'd never have, an elf, a slave, the deck had been stacked against him and he was determined to change that. Anders made him want to change that.