Chapter XXVII

Iri stepped easily through the eluvian, hand still grasping Merrill's and helped to steady the elf as she stumbled a bit. Fenris followed with ease, an action perfected with years of practice. Merrill's mouth formed an o as she looked around with wide eyes, struggling to settle her equilibrium. Iri turned in slow circles taking in the decrepit state of Vir'aravas. Her features hardened and she exhaled a heavy sigh, catching Fenris' eye. Her lips tugged with the barest smile as she raised her hands, gathering magic from the air around her, pleased when Fenris followed suit. Merrill stared on in amazement, eyes carefully trained on the elves before her.

The air began to crackle with magic as they poured spells outwards. The broken cobblestone pathways began to shift as the pieces took their places, shimmering gold with light unseen. The circular trees breathed with life, pulsing as their branches took on an array of colours, vibrant greens, laced with purples and blues. Pieces of crumbled statues floated into the air, swirling on a invisible wind as they were carefully reconstructed, ever fragment finding where it had fallen from. Slivers of shattered eluvians danced through the air like flitting butterflies, gathering together before firmly slamming back into place. When the magic stopped only a portion had been restored to its former glory, but Iri smiled brightly as she admired their work.

"Oh, it's beautiful! Is this what things were like in the times of Elvhenan?" Merrill wondered, eyes gleaming with satisfaction. "I knew the eluvian was not evil, the keeper, she wouldn't listen." a hint of sadness in her tone. "It will take much time to restore all that has been lost, but in time, the people will see, even the keeper." Iri replied softly. "Fan out, check the area, I suspect Tamlen could not have gotten far." She called over her shoulder as she made her way to the right. "Tamlen? You think he's here? Alive?" Merrill questioned sceptically. Iri didn't respond, just reached out with her magic, searching for the uninvited guest.

They searched for sometime before Fenris shouted, "I've got him! Over here!" Iri was closer and joined Fenris to see Merrill running to them, throwing herself to the ground, she kneeled over Tamlen. "Is...he dead?" she asked mournfully. "No Merrill, he is not dead, merely sleeping." she replied, prodding at him with healing magic, checking for anything amiss. "Sleeping?" she breathed. "How is this possible? He's been gone for nearly a decade!" She was confused and frightened, there was so much to try and understand. Fenris reached out a soft hand and stroked her hair, "Shh, Merrill. Watch." he smiled with a nod towards Iri.

Satisfied that Tamlen was fully intact, she began to recite a spell, something unlike anything Merrill had ever heard. What seemed like hours passed on in painful silence, but for the murmured words of Iri's spell. She had to be gentle, but precise, Tamlen was born a quickling and lacked the strength of the elvhen. If he had been born a human, Vir'aravas would have rejected him, leaving him to a slow death of starvation. Slowly he began to rouse, small disgruntled noises escaping him as his eyelids fluttered and slowly opened. He blinked at them, disoriented by the sudden pull of wakefulness.

"Merrill?" he breathed, "What happened?" A sigh of relief left her as she pulled him into her lap, hugging him tightly enough to strain his ribs. "Merrill, your crushing me." he managed. Merrill loosened her grip and leaned back to see him clearly, "Your alive! Oh Tamlen, your alive!!" she squealed. "Oh course I'm alive Merrill, I only took a nap." He responded, glancing around his surrounds, his eyes widened with wonder. "Where are we?" he asked confused. A simultaneous laugh fell from the group as Tamlen looked them over. "Come. It is time to go home." Iri replied, standing and hauling him to his feet.

"What do you remember, Tamlen?" She asked as they made their way back to the eluvian they'd entered through. "I remember, Mahariel and a mirror, like these." he replied, gesturing to the eluvians around them. Iri stopped and Fenris did as well, turning towards her, "Vhenan? Why have we stopped?" he wondered. "Tamlen needs to prepare for the shock of what has happened. Grand displays of panic would likely prove, unproductive. We should explain first." she replied flatly, pulling a chuckle from Fenris. "Grand displays of panic?" Tamlen inquired. "You've been sleeping for eight years, Tamlen." Iri said simply, no sense sugar coating the situation.