Chapter XLVII

Fenris woke as Iri lifted herself from between them, maneuvering over him and moving to dress. She opened her chest, pulling out the garments she intended to wear. Similar to the clothing she'd had tailored in Kirkwall, there was lyrium branded into the fabric, but the leather was a stark white. She fastened a new belt, one that had been made to her specifications with extra pouches to hold the items she intended to carry. Walking to her desk, she retrieved the blades Fenris had given her the evening before, sheathing them in place before wrapping a cloak that matched her clothing around her shoulders.

He rose then, dressing and moving to retrieve his sword, he did not choose the one Iri had gifted him, understanding Fen'Harel would not be pleased to see it. Reaching for his pack, he slung it over his shoulder, waiting as Iri brushed out her hair, leaving it loose and pulling her hood over her head. She moved to the bed, placing a soft kiss to Anders forehead, a low groan passing his lips. Opening the portal, she looked to Fenris with a hint of a smile as she grabbed her own pack and stepped through.

Without the sun, the air in the Frostback Mountains was cold and unforgiving, causing her to pull her cloak tightly around her as she walked. They approached the Temple of Sacred Ashes, keeping a distance and coming to a stop. Iri seemed to be waiting for something, her eyes trained on a barely noticeable path that could be used as a quiet entrance, should one know of its existence. She remained silent, waiting patiently until the first bits of pink light kissed the morning sky before moving towards the path. Their keen senses allowed them to hear the soft footsteps that approached and when they were upon them, Iri stepped into the path.

She smiled as she caught sight of her younger, more naive self, a look of shock painting her features as she blinked at Iri in disbelief. She held out her hand, waiting for her other self to tentatively accept it, her eyes growing wide as magic surrounded her. Like the well, she shimmered, her skin cracking with light before she wavered and dissipated, merging with Iri. She turned to Fenris, the sun glinted off her clothing, giving her a majestical appearance that left him staring at her in awe. She nodded, quietly making her way towards the temple, sharp eyes trained on their surroundings.

She washed a cloaking spell over them, continuing her way up the mountain to where the temple sat. She stopped short of the entrance, moving to the side and perching on the stone wall that lined the stairs. Rustling through her pack, she retrieved a package of dried meats, taking a piece and offering it to Fenris. Shortly after, the people started to pour in, coming from across Thedas to see for themselves how the proceedings would go. When the steady stream of visitors slowed to a near stop, it was time and she stood once more, pressing forward into the temple. She bypassed the crowd that had gathered, veering off to her right, making her way down a winding hall.

They could hear her cries before they reached the room where Corypheus had taken the Devine captive. Lighting her brands, Fenris followed her lead, ghosting through the door as they reached their destination. Four mage wardens held the Devine with chains of magic, elevated from the floor as Corypheus began to spin his spell. Fenris stayed very still, watching as her eyes narrowed with a hatred he'd not known her capable of. As the orb began to glow, she reached out her hand, calling it to her as she washed sleep over the wardens and they fell where they stood.

Corypheus' eyes darted as the orb obeyed her command and his sacrifices chains dissolved. She let her spell fall then, revealing herself to the beast before her, "What is the meaning of this?" he spat, eyes growing wide as Iri returned the orb to its dormant state. She grinned wickedly at him, tucking it away as she called on the anchor within her. He attempted to charge her, too late as she'd already begun her work and he fell to his knees. A breathy sound left Fenris as he watched this would be god, helpless in the face of his heart. She opened a rift, slowly tearing him apart, his form warping as she threw him into the fade.