Chapter XLIII

Iri wriggled her way out of bed, avoiding disturbing Anders and Fenris at the early hour. She shrugged on her robes, loosening her braids and running her comb through her long white hair. Her feet padded softly as she descended the stairs, making her way to see Felassan. She hadn't retrieved him right away, but the poor man had been captive for nearly a year and a half. She wasn't a fan of keeping people locked away, but in this case, the choice hadn't really been there. The heavy wooden door creaked softly as she pushed through, finding the guard nearly asleep in a chair just the other side. His eyes widened as he sprang to his feet, "My lady." he greeted her, soft flush splashing across his cheeks.

"Good morning, why don't you go get some breakfast, I need to speak with the prisoner." she replied warmly, smiling as she watched the man relax. He nodded in thanks before making his way from the dungeon, heading for the dining hall. "You've finally decided to pay mind to me, have you." Felassan spat as she approached his cell. "I had much to do, Felassan and my tasks are not yet complete, you should be grateful I am here at all. Though, if you'd prefer, I could leave you to your thoughts for a while longer." she retorted, tone no less sharp than he'd offered her.

He scowled at her for a moment before softening his features, "Why have you come then?" he grumbled, standing back from the door to avoid her wards. "Would you care to eat?" she asked, earning a look of suspicion for him. "Are you going to come inside and join me?" he replied sarcastically. "No. I thought perhaps you'd come out, join me in the dining hall. You've yet to see what we've accomplished here, but if your not interested." she said, turning on her heel and beginning to walk away. "Wait." he called, stopping her in her tracks. She turned back, looking at him expectantly, "I would enjoy seeing the daylight." he mumbled, nearly choking on his own words.

She smiled warmly, "The daylight has not yet breached, but we shall see how we fair and perhaps you may find your request filled." she responded, stepping forward to remove her wards. She pulled the door open, stepping to the side, "Come." she requested, watching as he hesitated for a moment. "If I meant you harm, Felassan, you'd not have been kept near so long." she stated casually, moving towards the exit. Tentatively, he stepped from his cell, following along after her as she made her way back upstairs. They continued in silence, fetching platefuls of food and finding a seat in the far corner nearest her throne. She settled in her chair, slicing a piece of ham and biting into it as she regarded him from across the table. "What do you want then? I assume you've not come to set me free." he inquired, taking a bite of his own.

"How are you fairing in all of this?" she asked with genuine concern. He laughed, a short, disgruntled laugh, "How do you think? I've been locked away in your dungeon for months with my connection to my lord severed and against my will, might I add." he replied bitterly, shoving another bite in his mouth. She hummed, swallowing before responding, "Yes, well, I do apologize for that, but sometimes we must perform necessary evils to achieve our desired goals." He grunted, rather annoyed by her nonchalant demeanour concerning his captivity, "Necessary evils." he repeated with clear distaste.

"I will no stand idle while Fen'Harel murders the majority of Thedas for his own rewards. Do you not see that he simply seeks power. He cares not for the people that populate this world. And I would have you know, that if not for me, your breath would have left you immediately after we met in the fade. The ability to capture me was never one you possessed, so you would do well to remember the favours that have been afforded to you." she replied calmly, lifting he cup to sip her tea. He blinked at her, a mixture of emotions crossing his features, "Lies!" he decided, shooting the accusation her way. She chuckled, shaking her head with a hint of sadness, "Remember who the trickster is Felassan. I have no need for lies, in fact, you are free to leave whenever you desire, but I will spare you the details of Fen'Harel's reaction when you meet again." she replied, so calmly, it was eerie.