Chapter LIV

Anaris rose with a feeling of dread washing over him, preparations had been put into action over the past week and he could hear the sound of the training in the main courtyard of the palace. He made his way to the downstairs of the grand estate Iri had appointed as his, too much space for one man really, but it was a sort of guest house to the palace, located within its gardens and he was pleased that she'd kept him so close. Moving to the kitchen, he prepared an overly strong pot of tea, pouring a cup and quickly downing it before going to bathe and ready for the impending battle. Pulling his shirt over his head, he retrieved Andruil's bow, slinging it over his shoulder and making his way to join the  others. Just outside, he caught sight of Fenris, a smile tugging at his lips as he greeted the stern faced elf, "Good morning, wolf." he teased, pleased when his shoulders relaxed and he offered a small smile of his own in return. "Everyone is waiting." Fenris informed, coming to a stop in front of him, studying him with intensity.

It was a day of uncertainty, wondering what was to come, Iri hadn't told them much, simply that Fen'Harel was marching on Tevinter and she intended to stand against him. Dorian had been sent ahead, accompanied by Felassan, they were to warn the magisters and gather the civilians in a place of protection. Abelas had gone to gather the sentinels, while Hawke and Anders did the same with the mages and Cullen pushed his soldiers to be ready. "Fen?" Anaris interrupted his thoughts, washing the far away look from his face. He blinked at him for a moment, shaking his head as he took a step closer, "Just...be careful..." he mumbled, surprising Anaris with his worry, causing a silly grin to come to his lips as he reached out and ruffled Fenris' hair. "You'll just have to watch my back and I'll watch yours." he replied warmly as Fenris growled softly at his actions, jabbing him playfully in the ribs. "Come, it is time." he said, turning to return to the courtyard as Anaris slung his arm around his shoulders to accompany him.

The army she'd chosen was gathered around her as they entered and they silently made their way to stand beside her as she spoke to the people. "The forces we are about to face are unlike any you have stood against before, they are donned with great magics and shall show no mercy. The soldiers are to protect those within the city, should it come to that, and the mages shall stand at my side. We will utilize Alexius' magic to level the playing field in an attempt to spare as many as possible. I wish I could say that we shall all return unscathed, but alas, this is war. It has been my pleasure to have you all amongst my ranks and know that if you do not survive, your sacrifice ensures that the many may flourish. Good luck my friends." she finished, turning to Fenris and Anaris, before looking to the others of her inner circle, "It is time." she said softly, eyes dancing over the looks of hope and admiration that painted their faces as they looked upon her, a pang of guilt pulling at her heart strings.

She sighed, waving her hand and opening a portal, taking one last look over the people before she led the way and stepped through. Cullen instructed his soldiers to follow as he made his way towards the city entrance, Bull and Cassandra at his side. "Varric, Leliana, keep to the back with the other long range rogues and be true to your aim, every arrow counts." she said, turning to move to the front of her forces, beginning the march to meet the approaching army, just coming into view in the distance. They fanned out, calling on their magic as their mimics took form, standing as a shield at the front lines while the healers moved to the back, a protective position to allow their work when the blood began to fall. Iri stepped forward when Fen'Harel's army arrived, eyes dancing over the mass numbers of sentinels he had gathered, an impressive force that would stand strong against her own.

"You intend to interfere with every action I take, Vhenan?" Fen'Harel commented, moving towards her, a smirk tugging at his lips as he looked to the men and women at her back. It faded as his eyes landed on Anaris, turning to a hateful sneer at the thought that he stood with his loves, an insult to say the least. Andruil moved to Fen'Harel's side, standing closer then was necessary and leered forward at Iri,  a feral smile plastered on her face. "Smile while you can, Andruil, you shall fall before this day sees it's end." Iri spoke in a menacing tone, humming in a pleased manner as Andruil's smile faded and her eyes narrowed. "You are welcome to try." she spat, moving to step forward only to be stopped as Fen'Harel's arm blocked her way and he shot her a look that spoke she know her place. She huffed, spinning on her heel and stalking off, Iri taking note of the replacement foci slung over her shoulder. Her eyes locked once more with Fen'Harel's, the time for words had ceased, nothing could stop this now, it had come too far.