Chapter XVI

Voices could be heard in the foyer when Anders returned home and upon entering the sitting room, he found Fenris and Aveline. "Are you certain it's her?" Fenris asked. "An elf, matching your description, on the ship you named. And alone as far as I could tell." His fists slammed down on the table in frustration, "I need to know if it's a trap!" he growled. "I did as you asked, Fenris. Now it's up to you." she replied calmly as she stood to leave. "You talk to him, Anders. I've had my fill for today." she grumbled as she passed him on her way out.

"Venhedis! Fasta vass!" Fenris shouted as he threw his arms in the air. "What's wrong, Fen? Maybe I can help." Anders asked. His elf sighed before answering. "It's my sister. I didn't tell you, but I followed up on Hadriana's information. Everything she said was true. I had to keep it quiet, but eventually I contacted Varania and sent her coin enough to come meet me. And now she's here." A worried look crossed his face, being too hopeful could be dangerous.

"She was in Qarinus after all?" Anders asked. "My sister left Magister Ahriman's service, and I found her in Minrathous. That made things more difficult. But, according to the men I paid, it's just as Hadriana's said. She's not a slave, she's a tailor, in fact. Getting a letter to her was difficult, and she didn't believe me at first...but she's finally come." Fenris said, fidgeting as he spoke. Anders took his hand in his own, "Your worried Danarius knows?" He asked softy. "The more it seems he doesn't know, the more certain I become he does! Come with me Amatus! If this is a trap, I need you there to back me up. It would mean a lot to me, that's all I ask." Anders smiled and squeezed his hand, "Of course I'll come with you, I wouldn't let you do this alone, Fen."

They set out for the Hanged Man, stopping by Hawke's to pick him up on the way. Varric and Merrill were sitting at the bar when they entered and Anders smiled and waved. Fenris scanned the bar and found Varania sitting alone at a table. "It really is you." She said quietly. "I...remember you, we played in our masters courtyard while Mother worked. You called me.." "Leto. That's your name." She stood and a sad look crossed her face. "What's wrong? Why are you so..." he trailed off as his features twisting in concern.

"Fenris, we have to get out of here." Anders said, but it was too late. Danarius decended the stairs as Varric and Merrill left their stools to stand at Fenris' back. "Ah. My little Fenris. Predictable as always." His eyes widened, "I'm sorry it came to this, Leto." Varania's eyes found the floor and Fenris advanced on her. "You led him here!" he snarled. "Now, now, Fenris. Don't blame your sister. She did what any good imperial citizen should." Danarius mocked, coming up beside her with an abundance of slavers at his back.

"I never wanted these filthy markings, Danarius! But I won't let you kill me to get them!" he spat, pulling a laugh from Danarius' lips. Oh, how little you know, my pet. And this is your new master then? The Champion of Kirkwall. Impressive!" Anders fought the urge to punch the arrogant bastard in the face, "Fenris doesn't belong to anyone!" he spat, words dripping with contempt. "Do I detect a note of jealously? It's not surprising. The lad is rather skilled, isn't he?" Fenris brands lit, "Shut your mouth Danarius!" he growled, his whole body vibrating.

The door of the hanged man slammed open, shifting the attention towards the sound. Iri strutted into the room and time seemed to stop. Eyes widened and jaws went slack, mostly because of her similarity to Fenris. Danarius let out a gleeful sound and smiled wickedly at her until she came to a stop just this side of too close to him. "Lothieriel, my pet who was lost, returned to your master. Such a good girl. I meant to reclaim you after I finished creating my Fenris, your ability to evade proved impressive." he purred at her making her skin crawl. "As is your ability to smile at a moment such as this. I look forward to wiping the smug look from your face." she replied, keeping her voice neutral.

"Oh come now little one, there is no need to make threats you are unable to carry out." Danarius drawled. Iri looked at him amused, "Are you so certain I can not defend myself, Danarius? It has been a very long time and I would wager you are not so powerful as you imagine yourself to be." the same neutral tone fell from her lips, giving him nothing, as intended. He studied her intensely for a moment and a gleeful laugh filled the room. "Oh, you are feisty, perhaps you'll become my favourite pet." The words rolled of his tongue seductively playful and his eyes flitted to Fenris who growled deeply in response, fingers twitching with the urge to rip Danarius' heart from his chest.