Chapter XLV

She brought them out in the mountains, a short distance from Vir'revas, where she knew the wards had weakened over time and gone unnoticed. She paused for a moment, breathing in the fresh air as her eyes scanned the seemingly empty mountainside. Her thoughts wandered to when they'd still occupied their spirit forms, living blissfully with their maker as he sought to bring about a better world. Funny how his grandest achievement had come to be his deepest regret. A fools decision he had made, all those years ago, one that had cost much, and now she stood in the face of his wrath once more. A great man, spoiled by his own pride, seeking the demise of his own creation.

Fenris gave her hand a gentle squeeze, pulling her from her troubled thoughts. She smiled up at him, a smile that failed to reach her eyes as sadness plagued her. "We will find a way, Vhenan, all is not yet lost to us." he encouraged, displaying the faith he held in her. She nodded weakly, tugging him in the direction of the temple, drawing strength from his words. They'd entered without incident, but Iri came to an abrupt halt nearly as soon as they ventured further inside, "Hello, Mihlora." she greeted the sentinel, waiting for her to step from the shadows. "Why do you run from your maker, Lotheriel." came her response, cold and demanding of an answer. She turned to Fenris, giving a subtle shake of her head, this was not the branch she had hoped for.

"Why would you say such a thing?" Iri retorted, innocence in her tone. "Do not play games with me, child! Fen'Harel has reached me. You eluded him and when he found you, you ran, explain yourself." she spat, a flash of movement catching Iri's eye as the remaining sentinels surrounded them. "We are having a disagreement." Iri replied, calmly, biding time until they all fell into place. Fen'Harel did not have near the amount of sentinels as Mythal, but their numbers still reached fourteen, a driving force when speaking of sentinels. "A disagreement he is unaware of? Do you mean to convince me you have not taken Felassan as well? The armies growing across the lands are not under your direction? You are a fool to think your actions would go unnoticed to him, already you have failed by underestimating his reach." her anger flared as she spoke.

A feral smile came to Iri's lips as she bore holes in Mihlora with her gaze. "Have you considered that perhaps, I know him better than you think. And that maybe, just maybe, it is he, who has underestimated me?" she replied methodically, her eyes flashing for an instant. "You are a spec in the wind compared to him, unworthy of mention even. I will never understand why he chose you as his betrothed, you are not his equal." her condescending tone made Fenris' skin crawl, but he remained silent. Iri laughed then, a wicked, unkind laugh, wiping the smug look from Mihlora's face. "I am a wolf, Mihlora, my senses are sharp. And now, you sleep." she stated.

Mihlora's eyes went wide, but that was the only action she managed as Iri caught her off guard. She used her keen sense of smell to locate every body in the room, pointedly casting her spell at them simultaneously. Her head hung low as she finished, the soft thud of their bodies falling to the ground, echoing off the temples walls. "I suppose I always knew, the chance of swaying Mihlora was so slight that it really wasn't a chance at all." Iri said in a hushed tone. "It is alright, Vhenan. They sleep, that is all, and when we are finished, there will be little choice for them when they wake." he replied softly, staring at her intently. She turned to face him, awestruck by the way he looked at her. It never ceased to amaze her, the way he held such faith in her, never faltering for an instant.

She smiled, placing a soft kiss to his lips before looking back to Mihlora. "We should move them somewhere more comfortable before setting the wards. The spirits will watch over them once the veil is removed." she said softly. Moving to kneel beside Mihlora, she gently brushed her hair from her face, tucking it behind her ear. Acts such as this left her feeling drained with a weight on her shoulders she was not meant to carry. Her nature depicted that she was the embodiment of devotion and she supposed in a way, she was filling her purpose, but she couldn't help but wish for an easier path.