Chapter XLII

The cool air of Haven brushed across her cheeks as she stepped through the portal, causing her to close her eyes and breath in deeply. The scent of fresh snow hung heavy in the air as she recollected the circumstances that had brought her here the first time. Chained and accused, she'd awoken in the dungeon, harsh words thrown at her by an angered Cassandra. The first breach she'd come in contact with, the electrified feeling that had swept across her when Solas' fingers had wrapped around her wrist. He'd not been gentle in the slightest as he thrust her hand towards the sky and the anchor rose to the occasion. "Where have you gone, emma lath?" Fenris wondered, studying the far off expression on her face.

"It is hard to believe we were all so naive, he's really not a very good liar, not a word he said added up, if we'd only taken the time to look." she responded as she began to walk towards the gates. Fenris hummed to acknowledge her, falling into stride beside her. "From the very beginning, he was able to stabilize the mark when no one else could, of course he could, it belonged to him." she continued, distaste clear in her tone. "When we go to Kirkwall, I'd like to visit the thaig, the wards will need to be set. After that, we need to return to Tarasyl'an Te'las, Hawke will need to be on his way to free Corypheus. I would rather accompany him myself, but time has grown short and we are needed elsewhere." she finished, clearing her throat as they reached the gates.

"Lord Fenris." the guard greeted, "My lady, I presume." he added, dipping into a deep bow. Iri smiled, continuing froward into the village. "Lord Fenris?" she teased, bumping his shoulder playfully. He chuckled, shaking his head, it had not been a self appointed title and his protests had gone ignored. Everyone acknowledged them as the made their way to the chantry, her eyes darting to the cabin that had been Solas' as they passed by. As expected, Grimm was stationed outside the front entrance, patiently awaiting her arrival. "Your a hard woman to find." he called as they approached, stepping forward and offering his hand. "Grimm's the name, pleased to finally meet you, my lady." he added pleasantly. "A pleasure, Grimm. I apologize, but I don't have long. On the note of Bull and the Chargers, your hired. If you'd gather here in Haven, this should get you started." she replied, passing him a coin pouch from her belt.

He raised an eyebrow, shooting her a confused look, "You don't want to meet him first?" he asked. She grinned, shaking her head, "Bull's reputation proceeds him." she responded, leaning against Fenris as he threw an arm around her shoulders with a chuckle. "Good enough for me then, I'll send word and await further instructions." he told her, nodding before heading off to find a messenger. She glanced around, admiring the scenic beauty Haven had to offer. "That last I saw it, that mountain was tumbling upon it." she said, pointing at the great mountain to their right. "I am pleased it could be spared this time around." she added, lacing her arm around his waist as they made their way from the village.

Next they were off to Kirkwall, stopping in to see Orana and topping up her coin supply. Given that they had to wait for Bull to arrive, they set out for the thaig before returning to collect him. "This is it, Vhenan." Fenris commented as the approached the large mechanical door. She'd been here before, but things had gotten hectic by that point and she wasn't sure she'd find it so easily the second time without a guide, the Deep Roads being the maze that they were. Together they set wards, doubly reinforcing the magics to ensure that no one would enter. "It appears that none have attempted to disturb the location, that is a small mercy in all of this." she commented. Fenris nodded, humming thoughtfully as his mind wandered to poor Bartrand.

With the day mostly behind them, they decided to head back to town and check in on Keran. Kirkwall was the one place that Iri had left a real presence of Templars and it was time for that to come to an end. They found the gallows nearly empty, but for a few stray men who seemed to be doing not much at all. Keran turned the corner as they reached the stairs and smiled when he caught sight of them, "Welcome back!" he called warmly, "I expected we'd see you much sooner." he added as he reached them. "Yes, I had hoped, but things do not always go as one wishes. I am pleased to find you well and things seem orderly enough." she replied, gesturing to the courtyard.