Chapter LV

The days had passed and Iri had organized a grand celebration for the eve of their battle against Fen'Harel. The anxiety had grown amongst her forces with the death of Anaris still so fresh in their minds. Anders had kept his distance from Hawke, feeling awkward after their exchange and finding himself at a lose for words. As the evening had progressed, Iri gathered some of her inner circle, inviting those closest to her to join her in a game of wicked grace. "Cullen, your looking a little pale, keep in mind we've got Iri on our side and I'm willing to bet she's got something up her sleeve. Speaking of which, how about you throw your favorite writer a bone." Varric said cheerfully, the dwarf seemed to have the ability to always look on the bright side of a seemingly terrible situation. Iri smiled, shaking her head, "You'll have to wait, just like everyone else, Varric. Besides, you'll write it how you choose anyway, the actually events are irrelevant." she teased, smirking behind her cards. Varric shrugged, tossing a few coins into the center of the table, "Raise ya." he said, waggling his eyebrows at the others.

Hawke tossed his cards onto the table, a pout coming to his lips as he raised his glass in a long swallow and sighed. Fenris, Anders, Justice, Cullen and Iri added to the pot, Anders glancing sidelong at Hawke as he continued with his pouting. Iri laid her cards first, pulling a series of groans from her companions as she continued her seemingly endless winning streak. "Why is it that we continue to punish ourselves by playing cards with you, Vhenan?" Fenris teased, reaching for her hand and squeezing it gently. She shrugged and smiled, gathering the cards and reclaimimg her hand to shuffle, "I suppose you simply enjoy my company." she replied, eyes dancing with amusement. "Hawke, do cheer up." she added as she dealt to her left. "Why, what is there to be cheery about really?" he huffed, pulling a giggle from her causing his features to shift in curiousity. "Love comes for you, my friend. It may not be what you wanted, or even expected, but it comes none the less and you shall find great happiness in its wake." she stated causally.

A collective gasp left her companions as she reached for her glass with a neutral expression. "But you said..." Justice started, snapping his mouth shut when she looked to him, a furrow forming in his brow. "Love comes for us all da'len, it changes nothing to voice it." she explained, watching his brow smooth once more. This hand they all stayed in and when the cards were revealed, Varric slapped his hand on the table, "Well I'll be a nug humper! I won!" he exclaimed, a wide smile painting his face. "She let you win, Varric." Anders stated flatly, "Hey, what are you trying to say?" he replied with a deep bellied laugh, pulling his winnings towards him. "Perhaps my luck has simply run dry." Iri offered, finishing her drink and climbing to her feet, "If you'll excuse me, I believe I will call it an evening." she bid good night before turning to head for her chambers, stalling in the doorway as she looked over her shoulder. "Join me, my loves." she requested, a smile tugging at her lips as Fenris and Anders rose, saying their own good night's and moving to join her.

Once in their chambers, Iri drew them a bath, lighting the candles that were scattered throughout the room before undressing and sinking into the soothing water. Fenris and Anders watched as the tension faded from her and she leaned her head back against the side of the large copper tub. "Iri, is everything alright?" Anders asked concerned as he slipped into the tub beside her. "It will be, my darling....in time." she replied softly, looking to him with pained eyes, quickly tucking her emotions away and smiling as Fenris joined them, pulling her into his arms. "I hope that the need for you to keep things from us will fade after tomorrow, Vhenan. It pains me to see you suffer in solitude." he said, nuzzling his nose behind her ear and inhaling her intoxicating scent. She hummed softly, reaching to stroke the side of his face, drifting for a moment before reaching for the washcloth and soap. "I've been thinking, we should get a dog, after all this." Anders changed the conversation to a lighter subject. "A dog would be lovely, my darling." Iri replied warmly, running the cloth over his chest as she leaned forward, her fingers running after it over the scars that tarnished his soft flesh.