xiii

i got in my car reluctantly, going on my phone before actually heading off to lessons. then, i realized it was already 2:40 and i had to drive out to colombus to meet up with the person from the ad. i would text josh that i couldn't make it, but i never actually got his number.

i sighed and punched the address the person told me into my phone, then off i went, mindlessly driving as usual. i just thought about the most random things you could ever think about, like what type of avocado become more green by winter.

before i knew it, i was at the starbucks the person told me to meet them at, waiting impatiently at one of the tables. there wasn't anyone else in it, surprisingly. i reckoned it'd fill up by the time the guy got here. I kept my eyes glued to my phone, acting like i was doing something so no one would try to interact with me.

"ashlynn?" i heard a familiar voice call my name. i tilted my head up and met eyes with josh. i smiled a little bit.

"oh hey. what're you doing here?" i inquired as he took it upon himself to sit in the seat across from me.

"waiting for somebody i'll potentially be roommates with." he answered shortly and rested his elbows on the table.

"no way! i didn't know you were the guy in the ad," i smiled and mimicked his stance, my elbows opposite his.

"that's so cool! i hope you're okay with moving in with me, me being your teacher and all..." he took his arm away from the table to scratch the back of his neck, revealing his tattoo on the back of his arm. it was a heart with the word "mom" in the little scroll across it. how sweet.

"yeah, i'm okay with it. what about you? me being your student and all," i mocked his tone with a small smirk. his cheeks went a little pink.

"yeah.. i'm good. so uh, i don't think i really need to interview you, since i know you, so i guess you got it." josh chuckled. "by the way, i have my plane tickets to la in reserve for the 26th, but i haven't bought them yet if you can't leave that day." josh added quickly as he took the last sips of his coffee.

"well. i mean. i still have to finish college..." i scratched my neck awkwardly.

"oh! obviously. when do you graduate?" he asked eagerly.

"april 20th is my graduation ceremony, so we could leave then if you wanted." i felt guilty for keeping him back like this, but he could always find another roommate if i'm too much trouble.

"awesome! that's only..." he held up his hand and counted on his fingers. it seemed he was having some trouble.

"4 months." i completed his sentence.

"yup! anyway, when do you go back to college?"

"probably the 26th of march."

"what college do you go to again?"

"mit. i'm majoring in neuroscience," i informed, picking at my nails. talking about college always made me uncomfortable.

"really? like, brains and stuff?" his face showed... interest? usually, when i told people my major, they looked disgusted. they usually would say something along the lines of "but you're too pretty to work with all that gross stuff!"

"yeah. it's pretty fun. like when i get back, we're gonna focus on what makes people forget things." a small smile appeared on my face as i was talking, and josh seemed actually to be paying attention.

"that's so cool!" it seemed like we talked for hours after that, but i guess it was only 5 minutes. or 5 days... i have no perception of time, to be honest.

we said our goodbyes, and we were on our ways.

|-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/|-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/

Christmas was uneventful, and so was the rest of the days until graduation. josh and i would talk sometimes still, and that was about the most eventful my life got.

but finally, graduation day came. i was in my cap and robe, waiting anxiously in the seats for my name to be called. i was the valedictorian of our class, so i had to give a little speech, which i was terrified of crowds, so this is basically my worst nightmare.

i went over my speech a thousand times in my head, over and over. it was funny, inspirational; i spent basically the whole year on it. is that dumb?

i peered over my classmates to see if i could spot my family, but they were nowhere to be seen. i knew they were here. they said they'd be here.

i heard my name called, as i was the last to go up. i took a deep breath as i ascended the steps of the stage, then made my way to the podium where i was handed my diploma. i turned to the audience, just taking it all in. all the lights on me made it seem like no one was there...

i recited my speech with such passion, such realness like i was making it up on the spot. which, i was adding in a few things when i felt like it. when i finished my speech, the place was silent. then, a few people started clapping, and then a few more, and then everyone was on their feet. i went offstage as told, shaking hands with the headmaster as i did so. i joined the rest of my classmates, and after a few more words by the facility, it was time to throw our hats up. i turned to one of my best friends, David, and he flashed me a huge smile.

"we did it!" he whispered. i nodded in excitement.

"3...! 2...! 1...!" suddenly, hats were flying everywhere. everyone was celebrating, hell, some were crying.

all my classmates went rushing to their families when they were permitted to, and i looked around for mine. but, they were nowhere to be seen... great.

"hey smarty pants." a familiar voice chimed from behind me. i spun around and saw josh behind me in a tux, a bouquet of flowers in his hands.

"your family couldn't afford to come, so i took video of the whole thing.." he held up a small camera with a sheepish smile. "i also paid for them to come here," he stepped o the side and everyone was behind him. i ran up to them, almost tripping over my robe and embraced them all.

"one more thing," my mother interrupted our family hug. "i guess this is a late christmas present. it was actually josh's idea," we all turned to josh, who was still standing there sheepishly with a smile.

"what're you lookin' at me for? your present is over there," he points behind us, and we all turn around again. there, in his uniform, was my dad.

i ran at full speed towards him, and my arms engulfed him immediately. sobs were coming out of my mouth, and i hugged him like if i let go he'd disappear.

"hey pumpkin." he said, muffled by my hair. his accent was still here... southern as ever.

just him saying my nickname made me sob even more. we parted after about 5 minutes of hugging; then he whispered something in my ear which threw me off completely.

"he's a keeper."

my dad patted my back, and i looked over my shoulder to see josh still standing there with the huge bouquet of flowers, his smile gigantic. i walked over to him once again, wrapping my arms around his neck. my knees were bent up, and we were spinning, his arms protectively around my torso so i wouldn't slip.

"thank you... so so much." i spoke into his shoulder.

"my pleasure." he lets my feet hit the ground gently, and almost let's go, but i won't let him.

i guess he really is a keeper.