lxxiv

it was late in the night and after much argument between josh's voice and rosemary's facial gestures, rosemary was presumably asleep in the office chair and josh was supposed to be sleeping. but his trouble sleeping in hotels was painfully evident that night, resulting in him tossing in turning in a desperate attempt to get comfortable enough to fall asleep.

he turned his head up to look at the clock on the bedside table, seeing it was two thirteen in the morning. he bit his lip and looked down and over to the office chair rosemary was huddled in, debating testing the waters and possibly waking her up.

"rose?" josh tested quietly, trying to peek through the darkness for any movement. when she didn't respond, he thought he'd try one more time. "rosemary?"

the chair turned, josh only knew because he heard it creak. with a flick, soft light took over some of the room, but not enough to make josh squint. luckily though, it was enough to be able to see the lights of rosemary's face. she looked tired.

"shoot- did i wake you?" josh panicked, his voice still at a whisper as rosemary turned the chair to look at him. she looked extremely uncomfortable, curled in a ball. she hadn't even taken a blanket form the bed or a pillow, she refused when josh told her to. she shook her head at his question unfolding her legs so they were on the ground and rising to her feet. josh could see her wince, propping himself up on one elbow to face her. he watched as she looked into the mirror on the wall right near the door of the room, turning her head to the side to see her cheek. through the dim light, he could notice her run her fingers over a small cut, then quickly pull her hand back and suck in a breath.

"are you okay?" josh questioned, now out of the bed and walking towards rosemary. she nodded her head and wave her hand in an "im fine" way, but josh wasn't having it. he wordlessly went into the bathroom and came back with a wet facecloth. he gently took her hand that was covering the bleeding cut and lowered it to her sides, then pressing the cloth to the cut. the closer he examined it, the more he noticed that the cut was actually pretty big. it surprised him that she hadn't checked it out earlier, maybe she just didn't want to wake him. that made him feel bad.

rosemary squeezed josh's hand and sucked in a breath when he pressed the cloth against her cheek, but she didn't resist. they stayed like that, right up until josh noticed the bleeding had stopped. he let her take the cloth from his hands and continue to hold it to the cut, walking to the chair and trying to find anything that could have cut her. then, he noticed a nail sticking out of the edge. he put his finger to it, and he had to pull it away because of the sharpness.

josh didn't even hear rosemary toss the washcloth into the laundry bin, she only noticed her plop down into the chair again and pull her legs to her chest. josh was digging through his suitcase as he said this, noticing only a few minutes ago that he had forgotten to change when he went to sleep. as he dug around, he turned back to glance at rosemary and noticed she was already in the same position as before.

"nope. you are not sleeping on that chair again." josh said, making it quite clear his mind wasn't gonna change. rosemary shook her head and waved her hand like before, but josh wasn't having it. "no, i'm serious, i don't want you to get another cut because of that nail, or another i didn't see." he completely turned his head to make eye contact as he spoke, crouched down on the floor. rosemary's expression showed she was confused, but she didn't protest him further. he had never really shown care for her like this, it was strange for both of them.

rosemary obeyed nonetheless, getting up from the chair and digging through her own bag. she raced to the bathroom with her clothes before josh could, coming out in just seconds in on oversized shirt. it looked adorable on her.

josh slid past her and into the bathroom, changing into his basketball shorts and slipping out of his shirt. he couldn't find the pajama shirt he packed, so he assumed rosemary would be okay with him sleeping shirtless. they both got into the bed on opposite sides, both of them on the very edge in order to give the other room. again, josh couldn't sleep. it was three in the morning by then, and he only saw one hope.

"rose?" josh whispered, turning onto his side to face rosemary. she was already facing him with her eyes closed, them now fluttering open at his voice. "c'mere," josh only opened his arms, his voice groggy now from the sleep he fell in and out of moments before. rosemary didn't think twice scooting over so she was in josh's arms, their legs tangled together. unlike other times josh would cuddle with someone, this time he wasn't suffocated by her hair, and his arms weren't going numb by her. though she seemed like the most unaffectionate person, she was a damn good cuddler.

josh could get used to that about her.

-

a/n: i was on my other account that only has a spam and i forgot i wasn't on this one, and when i went to transfer the chapter to the book and saw it wasn't there i legit had a heart attack. 

also whoa i'm not updating at 2 a.m. what a twist