xxvii

i was still out in the city, and it's dark. everyone around me seems deadly, but i know otherwise. hopefully. i walked with my hands in my pockets and my head down, rushing through the sidewalk back the way i think i came.

finally, i got to the part of the city i partially recognized. it was so quiet by now it seems a tumbleweed could just roll past. the occasional car passed by along with the occasional person, but other than that, i was all alone.

i have to call someone. i reached into my pocket for my phone but- nothing. i didn't bring it. i just brought my camera. i looked around for any sense of the time, and one sign at a gas station faintly read 1:47 a.m. lovely.

i decided i'd stay the night in a shitty hotel i came across, but hey, it was something. i had enough money in my pockets for one night, thankfully.

the sweat of my hotel room was clouding my senses, stinging my eyes the minute i walked in. i collapsed on the filthy mattress and immediately passed out to the thought that i was hopelessly lost in a huge city.

|-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/

i woke up the next day and got up immediately, feeling "normal" again. which was an unidentifiable word by that point, honestly.

i decided i'd go out and take a few more pictures around, making sure to record where i went with pictures of my path. before i knew it, the day was over, and i got back to the hotel. two days went by as fast as lighting, and so did the next day. it didn't even dawn on me that people might've been looking for me.

but, my freedom was short lived when the realization hit. i've been gone for three days. i can't just disappear like that! i practically ran down the steps to the lobby, slamming my room key on the front desk along with some money. they'd put two and two together that i left, right?

my feet hit the concrete as fast as they could as i ran straight, then right at every turn. "straight and right... straight and right..." i repeated under my breath as i pushed through crowds of people. i made it back to my neighborhood, and when i saw one of our neighbor's, a huge smile spread on my face, and i full on sprinted down the street. i busted into our apartment building, scrambling into the elevator and going up to our floor. we had someone of a penthouse, but not quite. it was the biggest apartment in the building, but it wasn't penthouse big.

i unlocked the door to our apartment and walked in, immediately going into my bedroom and collapsing on my bed. i checked my beloved phone and lo and beheld, 8 missed calls. but, only 2 were from tati. the rest were from josh.

i quickly called josh back, biting the nail of my thumb nervously. he picked up in a matter of seconds, only 2 rings in.

"ash! where have you been? did you lose your phone? you weren't at your apartment, nobody could find you!" josh rambled on, making me feel even worse.

"i just got lost, stayed in a hotel, and now i'm back home." i explained briefly. i hated when people were worried about me.

"why didn't you answer anybody's calls? i could've come and picked you up if you were lost." josh still sounded worried, but it was tamer.

"i didn't bring my phone when i went out. i didn't have any means of communication with anyone," i explained. honestly, it was weird speaking again. it was as if my vocal cords failed, and now my voice was hoarse and scratchy.

"do you want to hang out today?" he proposed. i nodded, but it snapped din my mind that he couldn't see me.

"yeah, sure. you can come over here, or i can go there whenever you want." i cleared my throat in an attempt to make my voice reasonable, but to no avail.

"uh, i'll come there. and are you free now?" i nodded yet again, soon realizing i still hadn't responded.

"y-yeah. now is fine. see you in a bit." i took the phone away from my ear and heard him say his goodbye, then i hung up.

i changed into a shirt that was way too big on me and sweatpants because i knew josh wouldn't care. right? little did i know...

15 minutes later, josh was knocking at my door. i jogged over and opened the door, and josh was staring down at his phone.

"hi stranger." i chuckled, causing his head to tilt up and a smile to spread across his face. i stepped to the side so he could walk in, and we both immediately went to the living room.

"tv?" i questioned. he gave a small nod, so i turned it on and watched whatever was playing. eventually, i was all wrapped up in his embrace.

"you're freezing," he muttered, rubbing his hand up and down my arm quickly to warm me up. i nodded a little bit, and i finally noticed my teeth chattering. "it's not even cold in here." he added.

"i'm gonna get you some blankets. do you feel alright?" he asked as he left the room. this was only his second time at my apartment, so i was guessing he was going to wing it on where the closet was. man, i remember when i was stuck in there. figuativley and literally.

josh walked back into the room with a thermometer and a few blankets in his arms. he smiled sheepishly and shrugged. "thought i'd go the extra mile." he chuckled and spread the blanket over me.

"josh, i'm fine," i said politely. "there's no need to worry."

"we'll see." he handed me the thermometer, and i put it in my mouth as instructed. a minute later, it beeped, and my temperature was 102.

"whoa. i guess i'm staying with you today." josh stared at the thermometer.

"no, you don't have to, i don't want to get you sick." i insisted, but he shook his head.

"if i leave, i'll just feel bad and call you every other minute." he joked and took my hand in his, sitting down and wrapping his arm around me.

then it clicked - we're not dating.

we're still just friends.

|-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/ |-/

a/n: sorry this chapter was shite. i've got writer's block. comment suggestions, maybe :)

also, new years chapter coming soon.