xvii

a few weeks later, tyler still hadn't spilled my secret. good on 'em. he's a great friend.

i walked out our "empty" apartment, singing song lyrics i made up on the spot, then and there.

i found my way to my room and saw no reason to close the door, so i just sang as i put on my apron and poured all my different paints, then i was away with my brushes as i sang. i ended up singing "i'm yours" instead of my own, so i just went along with it.

"open up your mind and see like me. open up your plans and damn, you're free. look into your heart, and you'll find-"

"love, love, love, love." suddenly, my voice sounded like a harmony. oh wait, it was a harmony. which meant two people singing. at once. i slowly looked towards my door and saw tyler stood there with an amused expression, josh behind him.

"i thought you weren't coming home until 5?" i asked nervously, freezing in place nad taking my paintbrush away from the canvas.

"surprise." josh spoke up from behind tyler. his smile made his eyes scrunch up in the most adorable way- wait, what?

"anyway, keep singing. you're good at it. actually- do you happen to have a ukulele?" tyler was starting to strike me as the straight to the point type, and i didn't like it too much. i only sang by myself.

i let out a sigh. "yeah..." i crouched down and reached under my bed, pulling out a ukulele that looked pretty old.

"be careful with it..." i reluctantly handed tyler the ukulele. he nodded, and started to play the beginning of i'm yours.

i turned back to my painting, continuing. might as well pretend they're not there if i'm going to sing?

we finished the song together, and my painting was actually almost done. i think it resembled what it needed to perfectly.

"whatcha paintin' ms. amazing singer?" josh strolled into my room and watched me over my shoulder as i made final details.

"whatever you want it to be." i answered only, my voice slightly muffled due to me biting my lip so hard.

"whoa...." tyler walked over, standing on the left side of me while i looked over to it to see if there were any final details needed.

"finally finished." i sighed out in relief.

"you're really good..." josh said as him and tyler just stared at my painting.

"i call it discography." i plopped down onto my bed, facing the ceiling. my leg was propped up while the other was laying flat.

( since this is an au before they were big, we're pretending ashlynn painted their soon-to-be first ever album cover

( since this is an au before they were big, we're pretending ashlynn painted their soon-to-be first ever album cover. you go girl! )

"aren't you supposed to sign it?" tyler questioned and looked back at me.

"well if i sign it, it becomes owned. i don't want it to be owned. i just want it to be." i explained as i threw my same baseball up in the air and caught it again.