lxxi

they sat in silence for hours, josh only having the oddly scenic road to keep him from boredom. he had no clue where they were, but he didn't mind as much as he thought he would. he thought going into this that he'd absolutely hate his anxiety wondered where they could possibly be going.

rosemary had her hand out of the window as she drove with one hand, which usually would make josh nervous, but it did the exact opposite. it was calming to see her calm, it was rare she was like that. the roads were almost empty aside from the occasional car, which josh saw most of the license plates were that of new york.

they had managed to drive until it was dark, and josh realized rosemary had been driving from a bit after sunrise to sunset. he glanced over at her in worry, and she didn't even look tired.

josh found himself in a trance by the passing scenery as rosemary twisted around roads now off the highway, the only source of light coming from the street lamps every thirty feet. josh felt the car stop soon enough, and when he looked forward he realized they were on a hill. not a road anymore, he had noticed that. the dirt path they were on ended not too long ago. he watched rosemary get out of the car and close the door, and she just stood there, looking over the hill where josh couldn't see past. he saw her back cave in then out, and she then just continued to stare. something about the wind just blowing all her hair to one side made josh stare. that is until rosemary climbed onto the roof of the car and sat criss-cross, keeping her stare ahead. she looked back at josh and managed to look him right in the eyes, nodding towards wherever she was staring.

he took the hint and fumbled unbuckling his seatbelt, hurrying out of the car and hopping on the roof of the car next to her in the same position. when he got a chance to look out, his jaw dropped. it was a perfect view of the manhattan skyline, including the statue of liberty. he could only wonder how she knew this spot, why it was empty, and how much more like it she knew. it only made him more excited for the coming six days.

though he had been to new york so much, it was even more beautiful this time. they were so far from the city and statue that they were almost hard to see, but somehow, it was prettier farther away. being so infatuated with the view, josh took a second to notice the rosemary was moving her hand closer and closer to josh's. their index fingers locked in no time, and before josh knew it her hand was in his. her hand was so small, which sure, he had noticed that. But he never thought they were actually so small that they fit in his own hand perfectly. no calluses, no imperfections, just thin fingers and long nails that weren't too long.

josh kept his eyes on the skyline, feeling that it was his turn to make some sort of move. but what? does he actually try, or should he be cheesy? josh being himself decided to go with the latter, taking his hand out of her's for a moment. instead, he reached his arms above his head in an over exaggerated stretch. and of course, he lowered his arms back down to his sides with one now around rosemary's shoulders and the other palm down on the hood of the car to keep him up.

luckily for them both, rosemary only scooted closer and leaned her head on his shoulder. then... then nothing. they just stayed like that, with each other. josh didn't at all feel like he had to speak to fill the void for both of them like usual, and it was nice. he didn't feel like he even had a voice in that moment, there was absolutely nothing he could think to say. but alas, he couldn't keep his mouth shut.

"this is really pretty." josh managed to speak up, earning a bit of a nod from rosemary, and even a small glance. they looked into each other's eyes for a little bit. "you're really pretty." josh blurted quickly, looking right into her eyes as he said it. her mouth opened and closed like a fish, only causing josh to laugh a bit. then, rosemary began to laugh a bit. then, they were laughing together. josh's favorite hobby.

rosemary shook her head and bashfully pushed her hair behind her ear, leaning her head back on josh's shoulder and focusing on the skyline once again. "it's true." josh stressed, leaning his head forward to make eye contact with her. she just chuckled again, she thought he was making fun of her. "i'm serious. you're gorgeous. you should think so too." josh saw her cheeks redden, but she just looked back ahead. josh peaked around at her face and saw that there was a smile on her face. another one of his favorite hobbies, making her smile.

-

a/n: aw this was really cute