Chapter 19

Sorry I didn't post the past few days!! Yesterday was my sister's birthday party and the day before I had too much homework. BUT I'M BACK SO IT'S OK!

OMG WE MADE IT TO #3 IN THE TWO DAYS I WAS GONE! THAT'S INSANE THANK YOU SO MUCH! I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT ELSE TO SAY BUT THANK YOU!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up in the morning with a warmness spreading through my whole body. I have a smile on my face that refuses to leave. But I don't mind. I like it there. It feels new and refreshing. I pull out my phone and call Ashley.

"Hey you want to do something today?" I ask when she answers.

"Sure. When, where, why, how?"

"I was thinking we could meet at the mall at like six. We can eat and shop and stuff there."

"Sure sounds cool. See you there." I hang up and start to get ready for volunteering today. I really want to tell Ashley about Jordan, even if there isn't really much to tell. I haven't made a new friend since third grade, when I met Ashley, so this is groundbreaking for me. Ashley, being the social butterfly she is, has many friends, so she will be proud of me.

I skip out the door and call goodbye to my very confused mother.

"Uh, bye?" She says. I can tell she has no idea where my change in spirits came from, but I don't intend on telling her.

<><><><><><><>

Kayla stands at the head of the, significantly smaller, group and informs us that today we are putting down the floorboards. She tells us to pair up and work on one section together. My eyes make their way over to Jordan, only to find he is already looking at me. He winks, letting me know that we are officially partners. I smile and turn back to Kayla to listen to the rest of her instructions.

When she is finished with her lecture we head over to our corner and begin setting in the boards. I bring over the planks and Jordan lines them up perfectly. As Jordan puts in the boards I cut the pieces of wood down to the size that he needs. We work together quickly, the perfect team, speeding through our assigned section.

We get so into it that we don't even notice that we went into other people's sections. Kayla has to come and stop us, before we finish almost a fourth of the other people's sections.

"You two did great today. You can leave early if you would like. Tomorrow is the last day, we will bring in furniture and have a party, so bring in any food or drinks you would like. Either homemade or store-bought. Whatever works best for you."

"But what about upstairs?" Kayla stares at me, confused, blinking her eyes.

"What?"

"Upstairs, that's where Jane lives. Aren't we going to do something about up there?"

"Um, we were only told about a restaurant. We didn't know there was a house upstairs." I stare at her in shock.

"What did you think the stairs were for?!" I yell.

"I don't know, maybe a storage room or something." I stare at Kayla in disbelief.

"Even then, don't you think you should have fixed it so there weren't ashes and destroyed pieces of wood everywhere?"

"I wasn't informed about upstairs, we already used our budget for this project, so unfortunately we cant fix up there."

"No. We need to fix it. I don't want this woman living in my house any more. I can't stand it."

"I'm sorry Katrina, but I don't know what I can do-"

"NO! You don't understand. This woman legitimately said she doesn't believe in eating meat. I HAVEN'T HAD BACON IN OVER A MONTH!"

"Classic Katrina." Aubrey says from a little ways behind Kayla. "She doesn't care about the well-being about the poor owner. Only about herself." I turn my attention to Aubrey.

"You want me to sock you in the face again?! This time you won't stay conscious I guarantee you!" I scream. Aubrey flinches back and I feel a little spark of triumph inside of me. I feel a strong and sturdy hand on my shoulder.

"Hey Kat, why don't you come with me." Jordan says. "I want to talk to you about something." I glare at Aubrey as we walk away, wanting so badly to slam a hole in her face with my fist.

Jordan drags me towards our usual table at Starbucks. He pulls out the chair for me and gently places me down in it. He pushes it in and sits down next to me, looking me in the eye.

"I have an idea, but I would need your help." I glare at him, my arms folded across my chest. "I was think maybe you and I could fix the upstairs." I look up at him, my glare now replaced with a softer look. "I mean, of course we wouldn't be able to do it completely ourselves. We would need help from other people, maybe even Jane herself. But I think we would be able to make it pretty awes-"

I cut him off, hugging him tightly. "Oh thank you so much! She would love tha-" I stop and clear my throat, sitting back in my chair. "I mean, uh, maybe we could have a nice steak or something for dinner..." Jordan smirks at me. "What?!" I snap.

"You pretend that you don't care about anyone or anything. But really you do. You're just like a snuggly teddy bear. You just want to make people happy." He pauses and tilts his head to the side. "In an... indirect way..."

"No. Aubrey got it about right. I don't care in the slightest about anyone. Just myself, and my own wellbeing." I say, matter-of-factly. Jordan shakes his head.

"You can tell yourself that as much as you want, but I refuse to believe it." Jordan looks down at the watch on his hand. "It's only 1:30. You wanna go grab some lunch?" I can't help but smile.

"Sure." We walk over to a small restaurant a few blocks away. We talk for a long time about our lives and stuff like that. Laughing and having a good time.

"So I never see your dad over. Is he in the picture or no?" Jordan asks. The smile drops from my face and my eyes fall to my plate.

"Uh, yea. He's out of the picture." I say quietly.

"That's ok. Mine is too." I look up at him to see him smiling. Not a sympathetic or an 'I'm so sorry for you, even though I have no idea what it feels like' smile though. More of a solemn, 'I know that feel bro' kind of smile.

"What happened?" I ask. "If you don't mind."

"Oh my parents were never married. They had me and my dad bailed on us. I see him every once in a while, but our relationship isn't exactly the best in the world."

"Oh." I say, unable to keep the envy out of my voice.

"You sound like you have a worse experience. It's ok if you don't want to tell me."

"No its ok. My dad, uh, he died the summer after third grade." There is a silence between us for a few seconds. But not necessarily an awkward one.

"Yea, I guess that is a worse experience." I don't know why, but that statement made me laugh and we continue on with conversations like the depressing stories didn't just happen.

By the time we left, I felt like Jordan and I were a lot closer than before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you all enjoyed that semi-long chapter with lots of feelz and shtuffz!

This chapter is dedicated to danielletobuscus! She has been commenting on every chapter for a long time! DON'T YOU WORRY!! YOU WERE NOTICED DARLING! Thanks for being an amazing reader! Everyone check out her books! :3

Vote if you like it, comment if you feel like it!

<3

Nani