Chapter 24

I hate everyone and everything. Except you guys, you guys are awesome :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It turns out that the reason Kayla wanted everyone to invite family and friends was because she needed extra slaves today. She put every person that showed up to work. Even Tanner and kids younger than him. But it was nice because it went a lot faster than it would have if it was just us. Once all the furniture is in, they have me call Jane and tell her to come across the street. We all stand anxiously, waiting for her to enter.

The doors open and we see Jane standing there in shock. She doesn't move, and it doesn't really look like she's breathing. Her hand slowly rises to her mouth and she begins to sob. Jane runs over to Kayla and wraps her arms around her.

"Thank you.... So much.... It means the.... The world!" She says between sobs. She walks around the room, touching furniture, looking at handprints. Jane walks to the front of the crowd of people once she has composed herself. "I can not say thank you enough for all of your hard work and dedication to helping me. Thank you to Kayla for organizing this group, thank you to Katrina for letting me stay with her until I had a place to stay. Thank you to each and every one of you for being kind and genuine people who are willing to work as hard as you all did, for as long as you all did, with no rewards."

"That isn't true. Your face and your happiness is reward enough!" Kayla says.

"Nah, it's because there's free food." I say. Everyone laughs except for Kayla, who glares at me. I hold my hands up in surrender.

"Enough sappy stuff!" Kayla says as she walks up to Jane. "Time for the Grand Re-Opening!" We all head outside to see a very small crowd waiting for the opening of the café. Kayla ties a big red ribbon across the door. Jane stands at the front and gives a small speech before she uses extremely oversized scissors to cut through the red fabric.

Everyone cheers and congratulates Jane. She then heads directly back into the kitchen to begin cooking for everyone, because- somehow- every piece of food Kayla had bought was gone.

While everyone else stays, Mom, Tanner, Ashley, Nick, Jordan, and I all head back to my place to celebrate. We talk for a long time. Tanner fangirls over Nick at the same time as Ashley attempts to hit on him. Nick looks so uncomfortable we can't help but laugh.

Finally after a few hours Nick and Ashley go home and Mom and Tanner retreat to their rooms. I head over with Jordan to his place and flop down on his couch, letting out a sigh of relief.

"Thank god that's over. I'm never going to build anything ever again." I whine.

"But what about the secret project we were going to work on?" Jordan asks, sitting on the opposite side of the couch, kicking his feet up. I groan and put my arm over my face.

"Fuck that. Can't you just buy her an apartment or something?" Jordan laughs.

"I agree, I am kind of worked out. Maybe we could do that for now and Jane can save up the money to get that upper room remade." I look over at him, glaring.

"You seriously have enough money to just buy someone a house?"

"No, no, no! It's not a house, it's an apartment!" The glare stays on my face. Does he not realize how horrible he is sounding right now? He slaps his hand on his forehead. "That's not what I meant! I mean, I would just help for the first payment, then she could do rent on her own, maybe I could help her for the first few months.... Oh god, I'm not making this situation any better am I?"

"Not at all." I say rolling my eyes and looking away. "But, I see that you mean well. You just sound kinda dickish."

"Yea I know. Sorry about that." He says scratching his neck. The muscles in his arms catch my eye and I can't help but stare at them until he lowers it again. I clear my throat and look away. "Are you ok? You've been acting kinda weird the past few days."

"I'm fine." I say sharply, my harshness making Jordan jump a little. I let out a sigh and turn back to him. "I'm sorry. I just... I don't know. I've been feeling kinda weird lately and I'm not really sure what's happening."

"Oh... I don't really know how to help you there." He gives me an apologetic smile.

"You already are." I say quietly, thinking he won't hear.

"How?" He asks. Heat rushes to my face and I look away.

"I don't know. Nobody has really... Cared about my problems before. The fact that you are not only trying to help, but you noticed that something was wrong is kinda... Cool I guess." He smiles and places his hand on my shoulder.

"Dolphinately dude." My face becomes even hotter from his touch. I squirm a little and he immediately takes his hand off my shoulder, sensing how uncomfortable I was. We sit there with an awkward silence between us for a long time until finally Jordan speaks up. "Kat, you don't have to feel uncomfortable around me. I'm a totally chill dude. You can tell me anything, and I will do whatever I can to help. I won't ever do anything to hurt your feelings. At least not on purpose." I look up at Jordan and smile bigger than I have in the past three years.

"You are the first person to tell me that. I mean, I know it's true with Ashley, but that's just because it's been that way since kindergarten. but she has never actually said it to me."

"Glad I could be the first." When he says that my mind leads in a direction I really don't want it to go. I squeeze my eyes shut and press the heels of my hands into my forehead as hard as I can to rid the thought. "Are you ok?" Jordan asks, semi-panicked.

"I'm fine. I just have a really bad headache." Jordan gives me a look.

"This isn't a very good start to telling me everything." He says. I look over at him.

"Trust me, there are some things you just don't need to know. Or want to know..." He gives me a suspicious look then shrugs.

"I guess I can't force you to tell me things you don't want to. How about a rematch?" He says holding up the controllers. I smirk at him.

"Sure, it's your dignity."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kind of long chapter to make up for my absence :3 I apologize for that! I have been really busy and the days I wasn't busy I had really bad writers block, but it's here! So no need to fear!

Btw, you should check out my YouTube channel if you haven't already ;) It's diamonDiggerz, one d in the middle- not two!

This chapter is dedicated to smilebook who has been a super long time commenter! They are super sweet and awesome! They don't have any books but you should still definitely send some love their way :)

Vote if you like it, comment if you feel like it!

<3

Nani