Chapter 14- EDITH

It's hair. It'll grow back.

I stared at myself a little more in Penelope's locker mirror and frowned.

Who am I kidding. I look like a boy.

I swallowed thinking about how much I wanted to hide away from one particular Alpha: my mate. I hated that I even cared for a second what he thought of my hair. Thankfully, West didn't say anything about it- not even a joke. But he was a painful reminder of how much I've been slacking.

I've been slacking since school started. I haven't been doing my extra training. I've been too distracted. School is important, I know it is, but I forgot the most important thing: getting my life back.

Silas cutting my hair isn't going to stop me from anything.

I stared at the mirror still. Apparently, I was an embarrassment to Silas for his friends because I said the wrong thing. His friend wanted to see my hair down, and I refused him.

After they left, Silas dragged me by the hair and started cutting it, shouting at me if I liked my hair now. Stabbed the scissors in my shoulders. Distraught, I called Penelope to come over and fix the hair. When she saw the mess I was and the bruises, her eyes hardened but she got to working on cutting my hair so it all was one equal length, a "stylish bob cut" she called it. Then she told me I look like a cool elf which didn't help any matters. I've never had my hair this short.

The bags under my eyes didn't help my appearances either. When I shut my locker, Blaine was continuing with his speech. "You're overworking yourself," Blaine told me. "And you need to sleep. Rogue watching isn't your problem."

"It is my problem because it's my pack's problem," I snapped at him. I regretted it the moment his eyes were pained. "I'm sorry Blaine it's-"

"I know what it is," Blaine said, looking away. "I wish I was there to stop it." As if Blaine could stop it. He'd just get beaten up too. His thought was what counted, and I wished nothing would ever come harm him ever. 

"I'm glad you weren't," I said sincerely. 

"Why'd his friends want to see you anyways?" Blaine asked me. There was a pregnant pause. Blaine turned to me, furrowing his eyebrows and looking at me. "Edith? What did they want? What did Silas want?"

"He said I'm the eligible age to get married off to."

Blaine's eyes widened in horror. "You're only 19-"

"I know, but it's not uncommon. Many packs have been finding their mates in these years."

"You found your mate!" Blaine exclaimed incredulously. 

"Like I could tell him," I gritted my teeth. "Now more than ever." Blaine sunk back in the seat, looking angry. 

"West will do something about that," Blaine said. "I think if you ever think about getting married, West will do something. Especially if he knows it's forced."

"West doesn't care," I lied. I needed to drive West far away from me.

Just reject him, a sick voice in my head whispered. Won't it just be easier for all of us?

My problems keep adding up. 

On my 21st birthday, I'm going to challenge Silas for the Alpha title. Naturally, it should be handed down to me, but I know Silas is going to challenge me for it, so I'm going to just get it over with and call the shots. He won't be expecting that. 

My mate is persistent and won't stop leaving me alone. I haven't rejected him yet because I just don't have the guts to let go of something that for once in my life I could have control over.