Chapter 23- WEST

Please vote and comment. Ya girl needs it. Overthinking too much about chapters :/

.

.

.

Shifting last night felt like this huge weight lifted off my chest. I felt lighter. Salvatore finally felt content with spending time with his mate. Half of me felt so at peace, but the magic side still fought with me. It was getting out of control a little more than I anticipated. Mom always told me magic will come out in ways you don't want it to if you suppress it.

I could feel it starting to slip.

When I checked my phone I gulped. Mom called 5 times.

I'm dead wolf meat.

Taking a moment before I pressed call, Mom answered me on my first ring. 

"Where have you been?!" she exclaimed.

"Hi Mom I'm alive and well," I greeted her, the sound of her voice making me instantly in a good mood.

"Hold up you're on speaker," Mom's voice got muffled for a second.

"Glad you're alive and well West," Dad spoke through the phone. 

"We heard about the rogues in the elementary school and Maddox texted us saying you went inside?!"

"Yeah, I-" how did I explain that, though?

"West Stryder!" Mom sputtered. Oh no, she's using my full name. "You know better than that!"

"I know, but I wasn't at any point actually in danger," I tried explaining myself. If my magic wasn't effective, Salvatore was going to shift. What that meant to everyone else was doom, but it would have protected Edith.

It would be easier if I just told them I was protecting my mate. Actually, everyone would have understood. Everyone. Especially my parents. Especially Dad.

But I couldn't, and here we are. My parents thinking I'm making my thousandth mistake in life. 

"I couldn't leave my friend behind," I closed my eyes.

"I know sweetheart, and we're so proud because that's exactly what we want from you."

My eyes flew open. "Uh what?"

"You think your dad or I would leave one of our friend's behind a rogue attack?" Mom asked.

"In fact, your mother sometimes was borderline driving me crazy because she wanted to risk her life to save some wolves, but if that wasn't your thought, then we hadn't raised you right," Dad said, and I smiled.

"So you're not mad?" I asked hopefully.

Dad laughed, "Oh no, we're definitely mad."

XXXX

The next day, I met Theo up for breakfast at the cafeteria. He was already standing by the table with some granola bar in his hand. A well balanced meal.

"Good morning," I said to him as we walked to the line.

"You seem happy," Theo commented.

"Don't know what you're talking about. I'm always happy." For the most part.

"Yeah, that's a problem within itself," Theo chuckled, but he shook his head. "But something else. Something that might have to do with a certain pretty wolf."