36

Gavin hadn't called or text since he left yesterday morning and I knew I should be the bigger person and text him but that stupid 'Giorgia' kept flashing through my mind.

I needed some fun today and Grant would be here any minute for our day together. The only thing I needed to focus on now was getting out of that dinner date with Mike tonight.

I really didn't want to tell Grant I was seeing somebody because he would ask questions and I couldn't handle lying to him.

Or maybe I shouldn't cancel tonight. I had promised Gavin but that was before all his drama and Mike was my age, shoot a little bit older with a good job. Did Gavin even have a job? I'd always just assumed he didn't being a student and all.

The doorbell chimed, right on time, as Grant swung it open. "Ready?"

"Yup!" I grabbed my bag and shut the door behind us. I got halfway down the walkway before remembering that stupid alarm. I grabbed my keys and hit the 'arm' button.

"You got an alarm?"

"Oh, yeah, living alone," I shrugged. "I gave them your phone number so if there's ever an issue and they can't get to me they'll call you."

"Okay." He walked ahead of me, pulling the backdoor open.

Why was he waving me to the back? And just as I thought it, the passenger window rolled down and Berkeley, or B, or whatever he calls her waved out to me. Shit. I peered across the back seat, but it was empty. No Mike, for now.

"Hi Miss. Jones!" She squealed as I ducked into the backseat.

"Hi B, I didn't know you were coming along," I tried to smile.

"I thought it'd be nice," Grant chimed in as we drove off.

"So where are we off to?"

"It's a surprise," Grant smiled back to me. Lovely.

"And how's school?"

"Great! Only a few more months and Freshmen year's over!" B shrilled.

Don't do it Sadie, don't do it, "and how are your friends? The ones from the picnic, the older ones, from your tech class I think."

"Gavin and Dan? Gavin's been MIA the last few classes. Apparently he's hooking up with some older chick he spent the weekend with," he chuckled.

"What! Oh," I choked out, trying to clear my throat as it closed in on me. Holy shit, this wasn't happening.

"Yeah they were talking about it yesterday, but Gavin stormed off when he saw us," B giggled, placing her hand on top of Grant's.

"I don't know. I guess when you've already slept with every girl on campus you have no other choice," he shrugged playfully.

"Every..." I mouthed to the window.

"More like he's chased by every girl on campus! But what do I know I'm just a freshman," she giggled again.

Gavin had flipping told people about us, about me. How could he have done that. And knowing Grant could be around. Shit. Did Dan and the other guys know it was me? Crap!

"Mom? Mom?"

Grant's voice snapped me out of my head, "yeah?"

"We're here."

I had been looking out the window, but with eyes lost in thought. Now I focused in front of us to see a beautiful hotel, sitting right on the beach.

"This is one of the oldest and most iconic hotels in California. Thought we'd check it out, then have dinner at the restaurant here," Grant beamed.

"It's lovely but are we just allowed to go in? Looks pretty exclusive."

"My dad's staying here! This is the only hotel he'll stay at."

Of course he was here. My day with Grant was really my day with Grant, his girlfriend and her single dad.

I followed them along the stone walk up to the hotel entryway where Mike was waiting for us.

"Welcome!" He boomed, hugging B and reaching out to shake Grant's hand. "Glad you guys could make it."

"Mom, you remember Mike," Grant smiled.

"Of course. Hi Mike."

"How are you?" He smiled, looking a little too happy to see me.

"Good thanks and you?"

"Great now," he smiled. "Have you been here before?" He gestured for us to head inside, walking close to me as Grant and B followed.

"I haven't."

"It's incredible. The who's who of San Diego, LA, and all around the country stay here. If you're heading to San Diego this is your destination," he boasted.

"It's really nice," I smiled, taking in the classic beachy design as Mike rattled off some more about the hotel, as if he owned it.

I didn't have the same magnetism with him that I had with Gavin. My body yearned for Gavin, we had something electric between us, we always had. Mike was attractive and smart, I just didn't have the same attraction I had with Gavin. Maybe I just needed to give him more time and stop comparing him with Gavin and fan the flame a bit.

"I made lunch reservations for us, hope you all are hungry."