71- The End

I slammed through the surgical suite, seeing Julia and the doctors huddled around a gurney as machines whirred around me. I'd been in this suite hundreds of times, I'd strung the IVs, programmed the monitors, but now they all seemed foreign and ominous.

It couldn't be him, it wasn't possible.

The group turned back towards me. "We need another hand. I just paged for backup."

Backup... I couldn't respond, my legs slowly taking me to the bloody gurney, passing Julia and the monitors that were beeping too loudly, too irregular.

Then I saw the strong leg, hanging out from the thin white cloth over the patient, a bloodied leg. Noo... my heart was racing but I had no breath...

"Heard his car was destroyed," Julia spoke, no emotion in her voice. "Paramedics had to pry him out, poor guy."

I took a deep tight breath, forcing myself to breathe as I looked at the broad chest and the arm resting in front of me- and the New York skyline drawn on it. Gavin....

I could feel my fingers trembling, then my arms, my body feeling limbless.

"There was a preexisting bandage there," Julia pointed towards the tattoo. "I just removed it."

I looked back at his upper arm, the only non bloodied area, thanks to the old bandage. He had told me he got hurt, a cut, but there was nothing visible here.

I stretched my fingers to the tattoo, feeling the shock from our touch and instinctively tracing the skyline down to the seven circles below it.

Seven... Seven! I ran my fingers over them again, counting to myself. There was a fresh, still raised circle next to the original set. Tears immediately flooded my eyes and I traced it again.

I knew that circle was for me. He had permanently marked me as a lifeline, a love just as strong as his family. I took a deep breath, moving my shaky hands off his arm and forcing myself to look up to his face.

His beautiful skin was covered in a series of small cuts running every which way. Blood, still fresh, dripping from the open wounds and his eyes still sealed, motionless. My throat was tightening, my legs giving out under me and I gripped the gurney.

"Sadie, are you okay?" Julia's voice sounded distant and muffled.

"Gavin," I choked out, reaching for his hand and pulling it into mine. "I'm so sorry."

The doors suddenly flew open and I heard May's voice calling my name and apologizing to the others all at once.

I was being pulled away from him, a hand gripping my arm as two other nurses rushed to his side. "Don't touch him!"

"Sadie, Stop!" May screamed, yanking my hand from Gavin's, dragging me away. "Sadie!"

She threw me out the doors, pushing me back against the wall. "Get a hold of yourself! What the hell do you think you're doing running in there like that?"

"It's Gavin!" I cried. "May, I need to get back in there! It's my Gavin!"

"I know, but you need to calm down, you're compromised! You're not going to help, you're going to hinder."

"This is my fault," I couldn't stop crying. "I need to make sure he's okay!"

"I know sweetie, I know you do," she sighed. "But you have to let them work, Dr. Cam's the best, you know that."

"This is all my fault," I gasped, trying to breathe from my ever tightening throat. "It's all my fault May! Please!"

"Sadie!" She snapped, grabbing my arms and forcing me to look at her. "This isn't your fault, this is the fault of some jackass driver who ran a red light."

"He was supposed to stay at my place! I kicked him out!" I shouted back at her, "I didn't even tell him I loved him."

She pulled me into a hug and my tears flooded over her shoulder. "I need to make sure he's going to be okay. I need to be in there May. Please, please, please."

Why wouldn't she let me get to him...

"I can't sweetie, think of Gavin. You're hysterical. You can't bring emotion into the operating room. You need to do this for him, his life," she paused, looking at me as the bile rose in my throat. "I mean his treatment depends on it."

No, no! I needed to be in there with him- right now. He was lying in that bed unconscious because of me, because I told him to leave. He'd move mountains for me and what would I do for him. He didn't deserve this. He needed me, he needed to know that I was here, right at his side.

I reached up to my neck, frantically searching for the swallow, but it was lost, gone forever. No, no, no.

"This isn't like you Sadie, you're too level headed for this. Pull yourself together!"

I couldn't. He was my vulnerability, I knew that now. My walls were smashed the second I thought I might lose him. I'd kept my emotions in check for years, but I couldn't fucking do it anymore. I was his lifeline and he was mine.

I ripped out of her grip, charging right back into the room and I didn't care that all eyes were on me or that security was probably being called.

I wrapped my hands around his face, wiping the blood from his cuts. "Gavin, I love you. I'm so sorry. Please, I need to know that you're okay. I love you."

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
{Thank you for voting ⭐️}

Books available on Amazon, Apple Books app, & Google Play Store!

🛒📚Incidental Fate is available to own! The published version is slightly different, edited, etc. Amazon (ebook & paperback).
Store Search: Incidental Fate by Summer Leigh

GAVIN's Book: Published but sample chapters can be found in my WP account. Also on Amazon & Apple Books & Google Play.

For updates on new books, to see video book trailers, pics and more: www.Instagram.com/AuthorSummerLeigh
(All fun links on my bio page)

Also follow me here on Wattpad to get instant notifications of new Books.

I have 19 books published, below are some of them.

Thanks for reading! Xoxo, Summer